Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1993 chevy caprice police interceptor. it has 180,000 miles on it. this car is pretty quick with the 350 in it but if i uprgade to much my motor or tranny will go so I was wondering if a 454 would fit in it or what was the biggest and best motor to put in it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just bought a 1993 chevy caprice police interceptor. it has 180,000 miles on it. this car is pretty quick with the 350 in it but if i uprgade to much my motor or tranny will go so I was wondering if a 454 would fit in it or what was the biggest and best motor to put in it.
Why will your motor or tranny go if you upgrade too much?

Doesn't the interceptor have basically the tow pack with a tranny cooler? I wouldn't worry about the mileage too much if it has been maintained by a local agency for its whole life thus far.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Deuce228 is right. The Police Interceptors have heavy duty everything and coolers for all the hot parts like the tranny, steering, and an external oil cooler. I believe it also has the front lip that directs air to the front brakes. Try putting some headers, catback exhaust, cold-air intake, and free-flow cats. You car should easily handles these power upgrades. Or just start with a cold-air intake for immediately noticeble power. Considering the weight of the car, your tranny should be good for about 400lb/ft of torque.

PS - most police cars are VERY well maintained mechanically

1 - 3 of 3 Posts