Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on a few threads lately discussing upgrades to my LTZ. Since there were requests for updates on the new parts, I figured this was the easiest way to do it:

1) Nitto Motivo tires. Other than some trouble getting them to balance right (which I think had to do with the person that installed/balanced them originally) I have been thoroughly impressed. I have zero hydroplaning at highway speeds in the rain, dry traction and control are awesome, and in light snow and ice I had no trouble keeping the car in check. I've noticed a little more road noise than the Goodyears had, but these are a harder compound tire with a 60,000 mile warranty, so I would expect that. I've gotten a couple of compliments on the way the tires look - they apparently stand out from the norm...

2) Powerstop Cross-drilled and Slotted Rotors and Ceramic Pads. ABSOLUTELY recommend so far!! The car stops on a dime with zero noise and they look great through my LTZ wheels. Even coming down out of the mountains at interstate speeds, when having to check up around slower traffic, I had no fade, no vibration, no negative effects on braking at all. I've also had no brake dust build-up since the initial break-in of the pads. I chose these because of their ratings online and because I got replacements for all 4 corners for less than just the front brakes were from EBC, and they come with a 2 year full replacement warranty against warping. I installed them myself in about an hour and the kit is "dummy-proof" with marking on each rotor for exactly where they go and the direction they go in. For non-mechanically inclined people trying to save money but upgrade the brakes, definitely the way to go.

3) Dynomax VT Mufflers. Still loving the sound!! They have broken in a little bit and have gotten a touch louder, but not intrusive at all and no drone. Nice little rumble. I had the split at the stock piping replaced with the same size pipe and had the mufflers welded in. Mounted in stock locations and I had 3.5" stainless tips welded on to fill out the exhaust cut-outs in the rear bumper - looks exponentially better!!

4) Did a tune-up - replaced stock plugs with E3 plugs, new wires, new drive belt, flushed out coolant and replaced fluid, washed and reoiled my K&N filter, and had the power steering pump replaced (to get rid of whine). The car just turned 72,000 miles and runs better now than ever. Between the exhaust and now the tune-up, power and throttle response are noticeably better.

I REALLY wanted to get in on the holiday pricing of the tuning that I saw listed in here, but just couldn't make that happen. Next up will be the strut tower braces - excited about improving the handling - that has been my only real gripe about this car. I just did the winter buffing and wax job, so she's nice and shiny again!! I'll try to get up some pictures of the tires, rotors, and wax job...

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Congrats on the upgrades!

·
Banned
748 Posts
Sounds sweet man we need some pics!
Forget the pics. we wont be able to hear the mufflers, make a small video if you can that be better.

·
The F*** Killer
1,592 Posts
X0.0987123456! On the pics/small sound clip.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really wanted the overkill tune to get rid of the pesky torque management on this car!! It sucks that you can't even rev the engine to thoroughly enjoy the mufflers because it won't let you get the rpm's that high... I love walking up behind my car and using the remote start so I can hear the rumble :)

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
Awesome! I'm due for new plugs and wires myself (75k miles). Pics and a clip!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
clip!!!!

·
Makes your VISION, stop & stare
3,934 Posts
You left all the exhaust piping stock sawyer?

Them high revs with the tune does pull out the sounds from the mufflers. Next upgrade has to be the tune man.

·
Banned
748 Posts
O i forgot a car can have their muffler replaced too. I should look into that my existing one seems like is rusting bad.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You left all the exhaust piping stock sawyer?

Them high revs with the tune does pull out the sounds from the mufflers. Next upgrade has to be the tune man.
I left the main pipe stock. I didn't want to decrease the back-pressure too much and kill bottom end power. The piping didn't have any rust on it and was in great shape, so why fix something when it ain't broke. The mandrel bend on the stock pipe flows good air so I just had the pipes modified at the point where the new mufflers were welded in so it converts to the 2.5" opening in the muffler. I have nice, even pressure coming out of both mufflers. And yes, I'm dying to do the tune. I just got a promotion at work so there will be more funds available in the near future, but I had to get the necessities done at this time. My car really needed tires, brakes, and the power steering pump, I just managed to work the exhaust and tune-up in there.

·
3,934 Posts
nice! same thing i did with mine.left everything stock but added dual exhaus and new mufflers. congrats on the promotion man!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Awesome upgrades dude! I'll have to look into those. I just ordered the Overkill tune for my 3.9 and am pretty stoked for it to get here. Anyone know how long it takes, roughly, for Will to ship them out?

·
3,934 Posts
Awesome upgrades dude! I'll have to look into those. I just ordered the Overkill tune for my 3.9 and am pretty stoked for it to get here. Anyone know how long it takes, roughly, for Will to ship them out?
all i can say is be patience. mine took about a month to arrive. 2 weeks to ship n 2 to be processed. but its all worth it. saves your car with the money you spent

·
3,934 Posts
no prob man. oh and one more thing dont freak out when the security relearn dont work on the first time lol

·
3,934 Posts
I will only tolerate this thread for another week unless pics and a video clip of the mufflers i'm about to order are posted :wink: I have heard amazing things about the VT's. That's why i'll have them soon :eek:k3:
I don't have vt mufflers.I have magnaflow. Gona have to ask sawyer for the vid

·
3,934 Posts
Nope wrong thread man ...:lol: 8th gen only private thread w bodies only. Hahahaha jk

1 - 20 of 47 Posts