Impala Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Impala LT Limited.
It has the FE2 suspension and I hate it. It's way too soft and feels disconnected from the road.

I want a suspension upgrade, So I was thinking of going with an FE3 upgrade, but I don't know what to get or How to even get and upgrade.

Or if there is another company that could give me something better on the lines of a stiffer suspension.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a '13 LTZ which I'm fairly certain has the FE3 suspension. If you're looking for a ride which gives you details of the surface of the road, this isn't it.

If you're looking for less body roll in corners, get the GMPP strut tower braces p/n: 12498648
If you don't want to have to drill into your strut towers to install these, order some strut tower brace brackets from Don Rome at Home Page

If you want even less body roll, look into replacing the sway bars. I've heard good things about the Dorman front sway bar for the cars p/n: 927-100. For rear I've heard good things about the Addco 639 sway bars. Additionally, Addco makes a front sway bar, the 740. Although I haven't really seen anyone post about it. Duly note I've heard the front hardware included with the Dorman sway bar isn't too good. Most people recommend using Moog hardware kits for it, although I don't know the specific p/n. Also, when you do the rear sway bar, definitely replace the rear sway bar end links with Moog ones. They're considerably thicker and should hold up better (mine started making a nice creak when going up or down certain inclines before I changed to the Moogs).

If you're looking for better spring rates of the struts and springs, I know bilstein makes a set for the car, but I don't know much else about it. A lot of people recommend the Monroe struts, but I believe that's more due to quality than performance enhancements. Hopefully someone who knows more can chime in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a '13 LTZ which I'm fairly certain has the FE3 suspension. If you're looking for a ride which gives you details of the surface of the road, this isn't it.

If you're looking for less body roll in corners, get the GMPP strut tower braces p/n: 12498648
If you don't want to have to drill into your strut towers to install these, order some strut tower brace brackets from Don Rome at Home Page

If you want even less body roll, look into replacing the sway bars. I've heard good things about the Dorman front sway bar for the cars p/n: 927-100. For rear I've heard good things about the Addco 639 sway bars. Additionally, Addco makes a front sway bar, the 740. Although I haven't really seen anyone post about it. Duly note I've heard the front hardware included with the Dorman sway bar isn't too good. Most people recommend using Moog hardware kits for it, although I don't know the specific p/n. Also, when you do the rear sway bar, definitely replace the rear sway bar end links with Moog ones. They're considerably thicker and should hold up better (mine started making a nice creak when going up or down certain inclines before I changed to the Moogs).

If you're looking for better spring rates of the struts and springs, I know bilstein makes a set for the car, but I don't know much else about it. A lot of people recommend the Monroe struts, but I believe that's more due to quality than performance enhancements. Hopefully someone who knows more can chime in.
Thanks, But yes mainly what I'm looking for is Stiffer Springs and Struts.
Body roll would be drastically improved with just better Springs.

As far as sway bars, the stock ones are fine, I don't plan on taking it to the track .
I just want the bumps to be firm and positive, Not choppy, clunky, and Floaty like it is right now.

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
383 Posts
I have no help for you, but I don't like floaty rides either!!

I LOVE the "Lumberwagon....lol" ride of my 2008 LTZ, which has the FE3. It's firm all right! I do need to get some new rear-end pieces under mine though. I've had the trailing-link creaking for years now. I should maybe get some front struts on too. Northland pothole country here, lol. You'll like the harder ride...I think! ;-)

Faron

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the Replys.
It seems all I had to do was order Springs and struts for the SS or LTZ model.
They were $1000 but well worth it.
Ride is way better than before.

And to the guy that said the FE3 wasn't that firm, apparently never driven an Impala with FE2 suspension.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
My Impala SS came with FE3 springs and struts.
I installed Don Rome strut tie bar kits and upgraded Addco & Dorman sway bars over the course of several weekends.
It's actually surprising how much of a difference the front and rear tie bars made all by their lonesome. I did them first on a week night because they were quick and easy.
The following weekend I installed the Addco rear sway and Moog End Links. This made another substantial leap in flattening out the cornering on my SS without making it harsh riding.
The Dorman front bar was actually almost a let down. It did make it a bit flatter in the corners but considering the amount of work it took to install it, compared to the first two projects, it was kinda disappointing.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hi
I have a 14 limited and have been reading and slowly upgrading. At the time I had already done stb front and rear and the moog end links. I did find and order the moog rear sway bar bushings and put them on. For the few days I I drove it before the sway bar came it was hard for me to distinguish much difference of changing the bushings only. I don’t drive it hard so my opinion may be skewed bc of that. Even now w the rear bar in and only a few miles driven it does seem better but how much is difficult for me to say. I can say my confidence is higher on that 70mph interstate curve just outside my town. The little bit of uncertainty the car gave me going around that is definitely improved. All these upgrades are just a bit better than before, in most cases. They do instill confidence to and avg joe taking typical curves on the hwy. to me this is well worth it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts