Impala Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've cruised through here for years reading and hoping to learn. I'm a lifelong driveway mechanic. Started learning at 13 and I'm now retired at 66. You do the math. All my cars and bikes are well maintained by me. But the info here always leaves me wanting.

Every repair I've done on my 2010 Impala LT Vin-k has been successful because I have background over generations. I'm mostly tooled-up. I like to fix my own cars and bikes. I like to fix them for neighbors and other friends. It's a social event. They all look and run great. But for my Impala this place is no help.

I'm only posting now because I'm astounded that this forum can mostly be so wrong or short-sighted and still be here. There is ONE thread (which happens to be about accessing the trunk without battery power) that is on target. No others I've read are fully correct, they are generic and lead people down a path toward failure. And I've been referencing here since I bought my Impala new in 2010. Even the oil change info was wrong.

This place is obviously geared toward post count and visitor numbers. Not toward actual accuracy. There is no accuracy moderation. Just a few wanna be kings who say things they hope are accurate.

Go ahead and throw your stones. I'm only posting because I've had enough. I want to change oil pan gaskets and similar. I'm greasy under the motor. This time NOTHING I read here is right. Why am I surprised? I always look for the good in people. Bad idea here.

Say what you want. I have NEVER posted like this before. Anywhere. Never. You can take it as a call to action to do good work here. Or you can nay-nay and continue doing nothing. I don't care.

Maybe five of you will see this before cheesy short sighted blind moderators see it and zap it. Not my problem.

You could get better advice off a cereal box.

·
Registered
299 Posts
You have to sort the wheat from the chaff.
Not everyone has as much experience as some others.
Sometimes you run into a situation that requires being patient with others less experienced trying to help.
Sunday, a young fellow stopped-by to say hello and asked me if I'd help him tighten a loose door molding that was rattling and about to fall off.
Sure; I said. But, first I needed to Wet-Vac the drivers-side footwell carpet I was busy shampooing-out a spilled coffee stain.
I asked him to run into the garage and grab a Phillip's screwdriver.
15 minutes later he comes back from inside the garage with no screwdriver.

"You don't have any Phillip's screwdrivers in there.
They were all Craftsman."

·
Registered
311 Posts
This may be true for the rare detailed advanced mechanical problem (one which a novice skilled person like myself and most anyone else who would refer to this page should not ever be attempting anyway). But the bulk of maintenance type issues on here are minor day to day maintenance issues. These would be things like replacing light bulbs, oil change, transmission fluid, random mystery noises, trim issues, etc... And the vast majority of all the posts in this forum are personal preference opinion based (appearance, wheel size, form versus function preferences, etc...), for which there are technically no wrong answers. With some exceptions like wheel size changes that might also require mechanical tweaks.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Your pan gasket will depend on the engine. Having done one on my LS4 when I changed to the updated pan gasket. I can say it's a fairly large PITA on the LS4 and not novice level maintenance. Whether that translates to the various V6 engines on the W-chassis is for others to say.

I have no experience with the pan gasket on a 3.5, 3.6, or 3.9 V6 in this chassis so I'll keep my mouth shut on those. I will say if it's anything close to the obnoxious job it is on the LS4 it'll make you want to deck the engineer that made it that difficult. And yes I know a 2010 didn't come with a 3.6L V6 or LS4 V8 engine.

Sounds like you have some experience on this now. If you feel like doing so you could do a tech writeup with correct info for oil pan gasket R&R on your 3.5 or 3.9L, whichever it is. That is kinda what these forums are all about.
I've done a few tech writeups on other forums. It takes a whole bunch of time to do the initial writeup and people will ask questions that are answered by your writeup and comment about things that you might want to add in an edit or that they think you omitted. Don't feel like I'm putting you on the spot or have expectations of a writeup. If you don't have the time or just plain don't feel like it then don't.

If you find information that's incorrect or incomplete in a thread make a post with the correct information. It gives you credibility and helps the other board members.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Looks like it's nearly as big a PITA on the 3.5

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Fwiw, Klowny1969, also has some excellent hvac blend door actuator (bda) tutorial videos.
Klowny has some pretty decent informational posts in various places on this forum.

Finding nothing of value over years why haven't you moved on?
First time he's bothered to post. Maybe he's trolling?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sorry to hear you haven't found these forums helpful. I lack your experience, and toolset, but yet I've had a completely opposite experience from using these forums.

I first visited these forums mid 2016 when considering a 2012+ impala, to get an idea of what I might expect out of one. Purchased a 2013 LTZ in October that year.
I'm 43, and never did much more than change oil in a car up until I got this one. My intention with this car was to learn and work on it. I really only started buying tools for working on this car, so I didn't have much of those either.

Because of the guides, advice, and youtube links I've found in these forums, I've performed the following on my 2013 Impala in the 5 years I've owned it:
-Replaced EVAP canister @ engine which fixed related Pcode.
-Replaced all actuators
-installed Android Stereo
-replaced all wheel bearings
-Found perfect place through the firewall to run power wires to cabin resulting in the next two addons
-Installed subwoofer
-installed train horn
-replaced all disc rotors & pads
-replaced rear calipers

Those are what I remember off the top of my head.

I've found this forum to be an invaluable resource of information, provided by people who have done it before. Maybe you know too much for it to be helpful to you?

·
Registered
13 Posts
FWIW I have been a driveway mechanic and drag racer since I was 16 or younger (I don’t race much lately) I’m 67 years old. I had a 2007 3.9 and put about 98,000 on it when a truck ran a stop sign and demolished the car and tried to demolish me and my wife. That was 2012. I then bought a 2012 LTZ and it currently has 156,000. The LTZ developed a torque converter shudder at 108,000 so I plugged in my HP tuners and turned off the tcc. It’s been running fine ever since. In a few days I plan to rebuild the valve body using a Sonnax kit that corrects some of those problems.

what I’m saying here is that experienced people have less use or less reason for being here to learn. Why gripe about not getting anything out of it and start contributing. I’ll keep everyone posted about my attempt at a repair. I feel that I should. I’m not just here to not post and only try to benefit. I’m here to make a contribution. It’s hard to do because most questions that are asked have already been answered correctly before I arrive. I know that my first post hasn’t been about what I can’t get out of this forum. I believe it is clean and well-run and I want to help people on here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've cruised through here for years reading and hoping to learn. I'm a lifelong driveway mechanic. Started learning at 13 and I'm now retired at 66. You do the math. All my cars and bikes are well maintained by me. But the info here always leaves me wanting.

Every repair I've done on my 2010 Impala LT Vin-k has been successful because I have background over generations. I'm mostly tooled-up. I like to fix my own cars and bikes. I like to fix them for neighbors and other friends. It's a social event. They all look and run great. But for my Impala this place is no help.

I'm only posting now because I'm astounded that this forum can mostly be so wrong or short-sighted and still be here. There is ONE thread (which happens to be about accessing the trunk without battery power) that is on target. No others I've read are fully correct, they are generic and lead people down a path toward failure. And I've been referencing here since I bought my Impala new in 2010. Even the oil change info was wrong.

This place is obviously geared toward post count and visitor numbers. Not toward actual accuracy. There is no accuracy moderation. Just a few wanna be kings who say things they hope are accurate.

Go ahead and throw your stones. I'm only posting because I've had enough. I want to change oil pan gaskets and similar. I'm greasy under the motor. This time NOTHING I read here is right. Why am I surprised? I always look for the good in people. Bad idea here.

Say what you want. I have NEVER posted like this before. Anywhere. Never. You can take it as a call to action to do good work here. Or you can nay-nay and continue doing nothing. I don't care.

Maybe five of you will see this before cheesy short sighted blind moderators see it and zap it. Not my problem.

I appreciate your input and for the most part, agree with you. I haven't accessed this site much since after my initial visit this past summer. Therefore I have a very small sample window. I recently used this site for information about a 2017 Impala trunk issue. I have owned my car for 3 years and the trunk opens periodically. Every 4-5 weeks. My employer has the parking lot fenced and a key card is necessary to open the gate so I haven't had an issue at work. I cleaned out our garage to accommodate both my wife's car and mine due to this problem. Rain, theft, animals whatever possibilities exist are not an issue at home either. Going anywhere else is the problem. I literally wait for the trunk to open 3 weeks after the previous occurrence before I'll leave my car by itself, ANYWHERE. I was recently injured at work. Although I don't have any fractures of the vertebrae, the concussion and cervical sprain continue to cause a great deal of pain and limit my movements especially the neck and head. I recently visited this site to gather information about installing a reverse camera because it's virtually impossible to turn my head to reverse my car. As you mentioned, a lot of conflicting opinions and useless information. I have been around cars since around the time I was able to walk. At first, I was the tool guy with my dad. It didn't take long before I was doing minor maintenance/repairs. By the time I was a teenager with my own car, there isn't much I haven't done mechanicalwise to a car. Transmission, bodywork and paint are the areas I lack experience. I have read things here that are completely untrue. All social media is based on the number of visitors to a particular site which determines the cost for advertising on said website. Headlines are now constructed in the same manner. Often, the story is completely different in relation to the headline, and can only be realized AFTER making that click. Again, I appreciate your input and will take each and every "suggestion" with a grain of salt, should I return to this site.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Yes- you should definitely ask for a REFUND!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts