Impala Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

AutoGuide’s regular “Under the Hood” segment has already explained the vagaries of octane and the advantages of Top Tier gasoline, but there’s so much more to fuel than that. Ethanol, for instance, is a major component of gas, and something that’s a potential peril for consumers. But what is ethanol? And what is E85? Should you run these fuels in your vehicle?
For the complete story on E85 and ethanol visit AutoGuide.com

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
X2

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
E10 and E85 are the worst things to put in an engine after, Sugar or sand. Not to mention less power and decreased fuel economy. I put only Non-Eth in my cars.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
around here I can still find straight gas, one station has 87 octane E10 straight 87 octane at like a dime more and then I think 91 octane straight gas. I really doubt they have three tanks though, wish I knew if the 87 octane E10 was really straight or if maybe the straight 87 was actually 91. Pretty common for stations to have 2 tanks and the midgrade is blended from both tanks as pumped. at least that is what I was told years ago. I will often pay the extra for the straight 87 just to keep encouraging them to offer it.

Oddly Mills Fleet Farm up here offers 87 E10 but the mid and premium are straight gas, when the FARMING store is avoiding a farmed product you know it is bad. They need to offer a "cheap" option in the 87 E10 or they wouldn't turn over any volume as most sheeple don't understand the ethanol thing.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Excellent point. I am friends with two Service Station owners (one Mobil, one Marathon) The Mobil owner carries E85, but only because some customers want it so badly and go to him just for that. He unquestionably recommends against using it though. Ironically, he drives a Volt as his DD....and has put a charging staion in, as he really sees that as the future. He has got an incredible collection of pristine classic GM Muscle cars and old and New Vettes, so he is not all that eco-friendly - he just sees that as the future of service stations, not E85 type products.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Ethanol is not a sustainable fuel source. It would be impossible to ever grow enough corn in the world for even our country to use it. That being said, I don't think electric is the future either, and it sure as hell isn't as enviro friendly as they would have you think. Any idea what goes into making those batteries? Strip mining for precious and limited mineral resources all over the globe, and shipping all over the globe for the assembly process. Plus they only last 7 years! Then where does the electricity come from? Here it's hydroelectric, but in most of the country it involves burning something and creating pollution. My summary is that environmentalists are bad for the environment.

Reactions: TSS

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
The other BIG way environmentalists are bad for the environment is that by refusing to let anything be built here where it would be done cleanly they force it offshore where the environmental regulations are not enforced IF they exist atall.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
They must think America has a different environment from the rest of the world...

Reactions: Papa D and TSS

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
I don't even need to add anything. You guys are reading my thoughts. Stop that, it's creepy.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
I don't even need to add anything. You guys are reading my thoughts. Stop that, it's creepy.
Just go with it. It tickles.:giggle:

We better start taking better care of the Earth or it will take care of us and not in a good way.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
The station I frequent most just replaced it pumps and added a third pump, it only had two since it use to be a small service station but now is a convenience store. With these new pumps I laughed when I saw the choices in fuel octane's, all were 87 E10 blend. The old service station use to have 87, 89 and 91 octane's and the new store has 87 and diesel fuels.

For me it would cost to much to go to the nearest station that has straight 87 octane. Plus it is at a boat dock and don't think my vehicle would make it down the ramp, LOL.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
OMG. Are we all agreeing here? Now thats creepy too. Somebody revive the marijuana legalization thread, quick!

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
I don't drive very far out of my way to get straight gas, Fleet Farm is just this side of one of the grocery stores we use and maybe 12 minutes from home, and the other station that has straight gas is pretty much across the street from my favorite parts store.

One of my co-workers was telling us his sister was so dumb she would drive 30 minutes EACH way to buy E85.

Unfortunately hotrodding is helping E85 it really is a great fuel for boosted applications and cheaper than racegas.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
OMG. Are we all agreeing here? Now thats creepy too. Somebody revive the marijuana legalization thread, quick!
Ah, I would, but I'm way too high...

Ethanol has always been popular with racers, which is fine as long as it stays there. I can't seem to find any straight gas stations in my area, I've checked the maps and they say I'd have to drive an hour to find one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts