Impala Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I finally replaced my driver's side door speaker. I dunno that I did it too properly seeing as it started acting like it was going to pour. Of course, got it working and the passenger side stopped. Rain stopped and I reluctantly replaced it dreading the same consequence. Cheap $30 speakers work awesome.

Anyways, I found that all these door panel removal tutorials say to use a towel and a screwdriver, found this to be very ineffective. What I ended up doing was pulling the panel up over the lock and then using my hands to pop out the fasteners by pulling it towards me.

No issues at all and it was off in a matter of seconds. I basically just used a box to prop the panel on, because I could not get the handle cord to release as easily as I had seen. All I needed was the speaker anyways.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What about under seat storage?

What about the Impalas with under seat storage? I'm planning on undertaking this rear speaker replacement task sometime tomorrow. It looks like the under seat storage folds away the bottom seat far enough to be able to remove the seat back without all the extra steps.

Anyone try this yet?

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Maybe this thread should be made into a sticky? Nice information jtrotsky.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
The speaker adapters mentioned above are actually a little different than the Scosche adapters - so it's possible that they are better quality (they do look a littler "sturdier"). However, the biggest benefit of the Hummer brackets are that they have the little "roof" that covers the speaker from falling water, etc (in case water would get into the door) - just like the stock bracket has - and more importantly, they have the foam going around the front of the adapter, which helps avoid any sound loss into the doors - it basically create somewhat of a "seal" between the speaker and the speaker grille that is built into the door - just like the factory speaker does. They also have a thin layer of foam on the back, where the bracket meets the door, which is nice (may help to avoid rattles, etc). It's just a better overall solution, in my opinion.

Kinda curious to see how these newer-style brackets work out too though...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got the ebay ones and they look to be fairly solid not flimsy no roof or foam but I am considering laying up a fiberglass bowl for the speakers and adding so poly fill I did this on my dime a few years back and it worked out well, as for the foam weather stripping is fairly cheap since that's all the foam is to begin with...more to come as the pile is building.....hehehe

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 Impala with a non-functional passenger door speaker (tweeter still works) and I was looking to replace it. As much as I'd like to go with nicer speakers/better system, I can't invest right now. What I'm wondering is if I am planning on replacing just that one speaker, are the hummer speakers (the actual speaker) similar enough to the OEM impala speakers that I can replace it with one of those? That way if I do ever upgrade I'll have the bracket for that door already? Are they structurally/electrically similar enough I'm not going to get different sound?

Thanks!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts