Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to install speakers, first time ever doing it.... usually I procrastinate and next thing I know the car is old and getting another one so, this time pulled the trigger and getting some decent low cost speakers.

Bought a pair of Sony XPlod XS-GT6937A 6x9 3-ways for the rear deck for $35 new a pair, discontinued model. Looking now for the matching 2-way 6.5" Sony's for the front on (likely) eBay.

Next step are tweeters in the front. Just wondered where people here with the 2000-2005 7th gens have been installing them?

I was debating the door panel myself, vs the trim along side the windshield. Easier to wire into the existing speaker wire.

Grabbed an image online... the red circle is where I am thinking of... I "think" there is enough space to flush mount a small tweeter, not 100% certain though, so, figured ask around and see what others did.

·
Banned
667 Posts
Decided to install speakers, first time ever doing it.... usually I procrastinate and next thing I know the car is old and getting another one so, this time pulled the trigger and getting some decent low cost speakers.

Bought a pair of Sony XPlod XS-GT6937A 6x9 3-ways for the rear deck for $35 new a pair, discontinued model. Looking now for the matching 2-way 6.5" Sony's for the front on (likely) eBay.

Next step are tweeters in the front. Just wondered where people here with the 2000-2005 7th gens have been installing them?

I was debating the door panel myself, vs the trim along side the windshield. Easier to wire into the existing speaker wire.

Grabbed an image online... the red circle is where I am thinking of... I "think" there is enough space to flush mount a small tweeter, not 100% certain though, so, figured ask around and see what others did.

Windshield panel is cheaper to replace if you screw up.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Windshield panel is cheaper to replace if you screw up.
The column? Ya cheaper but... very curved, no area flat enough to get the flush mount to sit flat/flush I don't suspect, which is why I wondered if anyone has done it and if looks ok or not.

I have yet to remove the door panel, had it open a bit to replace the side mirror a few month ago but, half snow and half mud out now and -5, so, will take it off when I get the 6.5" speakers to install.... but, from what few photos I could find online, I think where I indicated in the photo is just empty space behind it (and a few wires for the mirror/locks).

There is a good 1.5"x1.5" worth of almost flat surface space however and it has easy access to the speaker wiring from the door speaker so, less wire to run/hide through the column/dash if mounted on the pillar.

Just weighing options, wondered if anyone had any pros/cons I may have missed.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I debated a 2-way speaker but tweeters are more directional than mid/bass so aiming them at my feet wouldn't be as good as having them more ear level.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I am now considering tweeters, I have one audiobahn from a friend, its brand new but im playing with placement. but I dk where I would put them. im gonna get the door speakers with tweets first, want to upgrade them any way... did you install yours yet?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This weekend I hope to... they arrived, then the weather did a 180 and went from spring time to snow and freezing again, then solid rain... I have 0 plans this weekend and weather is supposed to be good.

I measured and the Sony tweeters should fit where I planned and should work flush mounted as well, so pretty hopeful.

I have a sharp circle cutter I use on occasion for design mock-ups, plan is to cut a circle out of the door first, since seems covered with a softer vinyl, peel that out then drill, that way the drill doesn't catch the vinyl and rip it all up.

When done I'll post a few pics, probably Mon/Tues... unless I royally screw up, then I'll probably just post a single 4 letter word and leave it at that. :D

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Awesome, looking forward to seeing it. Especially since that's probably the best spot to put it as far as wiring it goes.. I think it would look good to paint the tweeter grill and plastic to match the door if possible. Make it look stock. Maybe lol

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Started another thread but no replies yet... mid installation and kinda stuck.

I expected to see a gray/tan pair of wires on the left, instead I see 4 wires going into a plug, and plugged into that a 6.5 and a tweeter.... didn't know the impala had a tweeter already.

Anyone know if I should just use the wires going to the 6.5? or do I have to follow the 4 wires up and find the source?

Wasn't expecting a tweeter and 4 wires, worried I'll use the wrong ones, or, there is a crossover somewhere...

???

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Started another thread but no replies yet... mid installation and kinda stuck.

I expected to see a gray/tan pair of wires on the left, instead I see 4 wires going into a plug, and plugged into that a 6.5 and a tweeter.... didn't know the impala had a tweeter already.

Anyone know if I should just use the wires going to the 6.5? or do I have to follow the 4 wires up and find the source?

Wasn't expecting a tweeter and 4 wires, worried I'll use the wrong ones, or, there is a crossover somewhere...

???
I saw the thread on my phone but didn't have time to reply. thers a 6x5 up front? if you are installing the tweeter couldn't you use the wire already for the tweeter. lil confused on what you are doin... I don't remember seeing any separate tweeter when I had the door panel off on my 01' I had. but are your separate or builit onto the 6x5

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not 6x5 ovals, 6.5 round...

In my 2002 Impala, next to the 6.5 speaker is a small, maybe 1" round tweeter. Also seen in this thread, which sadly, the links to the master sheets are dead.

LINK

Figured it out though... sorta... there are 4 wires going into a plug, the colours are (driver's side) tan/grey/black/yellow if I recall correctly. The 6.5 and tweeter are wired into a plug that attaches to the first one. I looked inside the plug and realized that it only connects to the tan/grey wires, then just y-splits into the two speakers.

ZERO idea what the black/yellow wires are for, they don't seem to connect to anything.

I'm putting the 6.5 inch speakers in there, and just cutting the wires for the tweeters. The tan/grey wires I'll run to my crossover box, connect the 6.5 and tweets to that. I don't want to mount my tweeters where the old ones are because tweeters should be at ear level not ankle. In my OP you'll see where I am mounting them.

Now I have the problem of where to stick the crossovers... I have no idea how hot they get, if at all, otherwise I'd mount them in with the insulation. Just worried if too hot, may start a fire. Gotta find a place where they fit and don't rattle.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
ok I see. I wish I had the time to take my door apart right now to look into it. I think as long as nothing is squishing the crossover and it has breathing room it shouldn't be much of a problem. assuming that it shouldn't melt the casing it is in to begin with. I would let it play for a while, while you got it all apart to see if it does get hot.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Done... looks good sounds good... be a while to get used to the sounds of clear crisp highs though. Until now I've only ever had factory speakers. :)

I decided to make a LONG post in the DIY section for 7th Gen Impala's with some photos and a few details of what I did. It's pending approval though... if not approved I asked that it be added to the regular thread section.

Once it gets posted I'll add a link.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm... submitted, still not showing up anywhere. Said will be looked at by an admin, so, hopefully didn't get lost, and if not approved in the DIY, hopefully gets added as a general post. Took a while to write it all down. :D

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ha... just got an email from an admin asking if still an issue, 2 months later. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nothing further on this? I'm curious to see some pics and info. I need new speaks in the worst way and considered upgrading similar to this...

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yup... not sure why but took a few weeks before finally approved for a DIY, then like I said in my last message, months later I get an email asking if still an issue. :S

But, anyways... it was finally posted here in the DIY section

LINK

1 - 20 of 20 Posts