Impala Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 Impala has a problem with the turn signal. It seems to work when it wants to. Like in cold weather it does not blink. I have to flip the stalk once or twice then it flashes but then stops. It seems to have a mind of its own. I already replaced the flasher 2 years ago with a Dorman part.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sadly your in need to replace your Multiswitch that is used for Blinkers and Changing between High and Low beams.. This may or may not be the case. Most times when they fail it is the fail of The Low to High that change out of One or the other... There are Videos that you can find on You Tube that will show you how to change the Multi Switch however it shows removing the Air Bag and Steering wheel and you can do it without having to remove the Steering wheel... Just need to have the right tool to get into the right spot. Turn the wheel just right will open the path for the Allen screws. I think it may be Torx I can't remember right now...

However if your Switch was Replaced last year with a ACDELCO it may be still good. However using a Doorman product it is likely that it isn't your Multi Switch on the Column but the Doorman product.

To be honest if you have a self serve yard around you I would go pull the part from one of the cars in there. If you don't I would be willing to pull the part for you and send it to you if your within the USA. Then you would know for sure if that was the problem or not... Multi Switch isn't cheap part and could be pulled from a Junk car but taking a chance that it is bad already... ACDELCO is only 10 more then the Doorman product on Rock Autos website.

Some options to think over. It isn't easy to test the Multi Switch for Blinkers because it goes down same wire for both directions. The part you replaced then translates the info from the Multi Switch and over the Logic system built into the hazard switch does the output. So in Short it is kind of a small computer in there lol... Our Impala's of 00-05 don't have a normal or old school type flasher it is all built in that hazard switch...

James

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, I have forgot to mention the hazards also don't work. It seems to stay steady at one push then will blink after a second or third push. All the functions of my multi-function switch at the wheel are functioning normally.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Then it would seem that the DOORMAN switch isn't a good Option in the future purchase of a new one. I would buy an ACDELCO from Rockauto or maybe get one at a parts yard. My 00 is still working on the one from Factory and so is my 03. It maybe that you get a good one from the yard over buying a new non ACDELCO... I am not saying all aftermarket brands are bad. Just some that don't last 3 years would tell me to put my money in something better....

James

1 - 4 of 4 Posts