Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search to no avail.

I recently purchased an 02 Impala. Sometimes while driving, the turn signals will not work. Then, when you go to use them again, 1/2 mile down the road, they do work. It's a very random problem and I haven't been able to diagnose it.

Anyone experience this before?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you will need to replace the hazard switch.
Is this a common issue? Where do I get the part? Do you have a part number? How hard is it to replace? Do I have to remove the dash? Is there a How-To?

Thanks!

·
Registered
657 Posts
yeah, you have to remove the dash to do change it out. the part number is 10359031 you can punch that number in on GMPartsDirect.com and it will give you a price for it. they have it for around $45 or so. autozone sells them for about twice that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
OMG you have got to be kidding me :mad:

my turn signals also cut off unexpectedly then work 5mins later
they should do a RECALL just like they did when they recalled the spark-plug fire issue [recall 09047], shit i cant even get my spark plugs looked at because every GM dealership in 50miles of me is out of parts. :mad:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is this a common issue? Where do I get the part? Do you have a part number? How hard is it to replace? Do I have to remove the dash? Is there a How-To?

Thanks!
Yes this seem to be a common issue (Do a google search and see how many people have this same issue) & Yes there is a "how to" http://impalahq.naioa.com/HowTo/Dash.html & the part is about 75$ (I just bought one yesterday from a GM dealership). Good luck :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old post but we are experiencing the same issue with our 04 Impala today. My wife just called me up and said she noticed that the blinkers and not working. Either side.. I have always been a Chev fan but this car has really brought out some other thoughts on newer Chevy cars.. This thing has problem after problem.. and most are not cheap to work on....

·
I eat brains... gimme brains!
658 Posts
Just replace the hazard switch an you'll be set.. I don't know why that guy paid $75 from the stealership.. just check ebay or amazon and you'll find a new one for $45

·
Registered
113 Posts
Okay, I too have an '04 Impala (Base) and my Turn Signals will stop working very randomly as well. 99.9% of the time when I turn the car off briefly and back on they start working fine again. I would assume replacing the Hazard Switch will rectify this as well, 'cause it appears quite apparent to be the same issue, more or less...and the band-aid of turning the car off/on isn't very productive and more importantly not safe at all. Please advise/confirm. And I would like to send a "Hello" and Happy New Year's to everyone as I am a new member.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Try toggling the hazard switch on/off several times to clean contacts. May gain a bit of life.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Probably not, but it will usually get the signals working momentarily, much easier than turning the car off and back on. Its a very easy part to replace, if you can swing the $45 or so for it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had this problem once , replaced hazard switch module and problem went away . Found it online for about 50 bucks . You have to remove dash faceplate carefully , but is relatively straightforward . I can't believe how much crap is in that switch .

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for all the useful info everyone. I decided to just order the Hazard Switch through Amazon for $40. And of course since I ordered the switch my turn signals haven't acted up once. Maybe I need to call her "Christine".

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Replacing Hazard Switch

I did mine in about 10 minutes.If you will carefully pop off the button with two small screwdrivers there is a tab on both sides of the exposed part of the switch,take again two small screwdrivers and compress inward on the locking tabs and you can pull switch and about 10 inches of wiring harness out with it plenty to unplug the wiring harness to the switch.Unplug then plug in the new switch slide back in and the tabs will lock.Install the knob on and you are all set.Mine acted the same way and I didn't realize it could be fixed in about 10 minutes. Even if you were to pull the dash you would still wind up doing the same thing to replace the hazard switch.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You definitely do NOT have to remove the dash. I pooped the old switch out as directed by others and it takes about 5-10 minutes total. Turn signals working just fine now.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Never occurred to me to do it that way, but popping the dash off only takes a couple minutes anyway.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Never occurred to me to do it that way, but popping the dash off only takes a couple minutes anyway.
True but, still not necessary. Why take extra steps and risk breaking a clip or plastic?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Wow I've had this prob for a few months assumed it was the bcu(i wouldn't fix that im not putting any more $ in this car). I thought water got in there since this problem occurred only when it was wet from rain. My hazard switch is broken off. I use to hit the hazard switch to get the signals working that worked most of the time. I'll go for this easy fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had a car in the shop hazards and turn signals inop. Hazard switch fixed the hazard problem but turn signal indicators stayed on all the time and both flashed when actuating turn signals. Found corrosion in ground eyelet #101 right behind drivers side headlight. Crimped on new eyelet and its fixed:clap:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts