Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the turn signals don't work like they should on a 2001 impala. they kind of work on and off. you might start the car and they work a little bit later and they don't work. it also does it vice versa you start the car and they don't work a bit later and they are working. the turn signal fuse is fine. and i doubt all the bulbs are mulfunctioning at the same time

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
My understanding is the flasher unit is built into the hazard switch, if the flasher is going bad it can mess up the turn signals and in that case the switch has to be replaced. Some have found that just pulling out the hazard switch and pushing the electrical connections together solved their problem. A problem that it could also be is that a wire is broken possibly in the steering column.

If the lights will come on but not flash then I would diffently look at the hazard switch. If lights wont even light up when the switch is activated then I would look for an electrical problem, an open (broken) wire.

·
Registered
557 Posts
start with the basics, check your bulbs, when it blinks really fast see if you have any bulbs out. If the bulbs are ok, its most likely the multifunction switch. I had a similar problem and it turned out the fuse block next to the instrument panel, on the left, was going bad, I tapped it, and all of a sudden they worked. so if they don't work, tap on that fuse block.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My understanding is the flasher unit is built into the hazard switch, if the flasher is going bad it can mess up the turn signals and in that case the switch has to be replaced. Some have found that just pulling out the hazard switch and pushing the electrical connections together solved their problem. A problem that it could also be is that a wire is broken possibly in the steering column.

If the lights will come on but not flash then I would diffently look at the hazard switch. If lights wont even light up when the switch is activated then I would look for an electrical problem, an open (broken) wire.
Replaced hazard switch and every the multi-function switch. Still not working.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Replaced hazard switch and every the multi-function switch. Still not working.
We need more details. Year and trim level?

When you say turn signals don't work, they don't come on at all? Or they come on but don't blink? Check both front and rear. Do the brake lights work? 3rd brake light? Do the running/parking lights work? What happens when you turn on the hazard lights?

Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts