Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 with intermittent working turn signals.

After a bit of research, some suggested it was a ground wire in the engine bay which needed to be taken off, scraped clean, and re-bolted back to the chassis. I did this and it seemed to help a bunch.

But the other day I needed to change lanes right when a cop was behind me. I flipped the switch and ... nothing. No flashing lights. Uggh.

Luckily I didn't get pulled over. Where else should I look or what else should I do? Could it be the turn stalk? How hard is it to replace?

Thanks.

Edit: woops i think this goes in the section for electrical issues

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Multiswitch or a connection issue would be my guess. Next time this happens, check to see if the hazards work. If the hazards work, the problem is probably NOT in the wiring or connections. Would check the connections from the bulbs.

Have not changed a multiswitch on one of these particular cars, but have changed others, of those I have had to change none were complicated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah I had the same issue with my '04. I found out the hazard button was starting to fail. I would play around with the button until it worked. Replaced button and no issue afterwards.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the multi-function switch and the hazard switch are not the problem (and they most likely are not), it is probably the ignition switch module that is failing. When they go bad, they fail to provide the correct voltage for a multitude of things which causes intermittent faults including no turn signals, alternator light, seat belt light, brake light randomly flashing on and off as well as the fuel gauge thinking it was a windshield wiper.

I had the same thing happen to me. First the turn signals would intermittently fail to flash, but the 4-ways would work. Then the right rear would intermittently fail to flash. Then the dash lights would randomly flash on and off. The ignition switch is about $50 and an easy fix for a maddening problem.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts