Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy a 96 impala ss, and i was wondering how hard is it to turbo charge my impala?? i am trying to decide whether to super charge it or turbo charge it, and i know the turbo lags, but the super charger uses more gas. wat should i do, i really want to put more HP into my soon to be car.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
i know the turbo lags, but the super charger uses more gas. wat should i do, i really want to put more HP into my soon to be car.
actually if you get the proper sized turbo, you wont even notice the lag, theres other ways around that as well

uses more gas? how so? more gas than turbo or more gas than stock? either way if you're that worried about gas milage on a Bbody, you prob shouldnt worry about odding OR go FI

in most cases a turbo is more effective at creating HP b/c the blower is belt driven...

either way heres a nice twin turbo kit for you
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__TWIN-TURBO-KIT-TRIM-I-94-96-Impala-SS-Caprice-Revised_W0QQitemZ350121200958QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2865QQddiZ2811QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories

·
Registered
14 Posts
Unless the blower sticks thru the hood, I say turbo charge it. Choose a turbo that spools quick and you'll have very little lag. STS turbo makes a very nice universal kit that has a remote mounted turbo so you don't have to squeeze it under the hood.

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
Turbo lag is a problem on small displacement motors with big turbos. Not going to be a problem here.

Turbo is harder to plumb, superchargers eat belts if making any power. Both have advantages and drawbacks.

You should understand though that you can add a LOT of power without either and without rebuilding the engine.

The most concervative estimates have my car making over 200hp more than stock, just typical boltons and good heads and cam. Civil enough to hand anyone the keys too, IF you trust them with power.

Seen blower and turbo cars than can not touch the power I have.

So the question is are you after power or do you just want the boost cool factor???

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just wait until the power steering pump starts going bad. Then you'll get the blower whine you're looking for and don't have to worry about fuel economy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You should understand though that you can add a LOT of power without either and without rebuilding the engine.

The most concervative estimates have my car making over 200hp more than stock, just typical boltons and good heads and cam. Civil enough to hand anyone the keys too, IF you trust them with power.

REALLY??? I was told when I wanted to start adding bolt-on's to my LT1 that there wasn't much there and I was better off replacing it with an LS1 or 2...
What kinds of bolt-on's did you use?

Turbo lag is a problem on small displacement motors with big turbos. Not going to be a problem here.

Turbo is harder to plumb, superchargers eat belts if making any power. Both have advantages and drawbacks.

Seen blower and turbo cars than can not touch the power I have.

So the question is are you after power or do you just want the boost cool factor???

·
Registered
823 Posts
This thread is 2 years old. If you start your own you may get more responses.

As well as reading the performance section.

The LS swap is just reccomended because its the latest thing. If people realized what goes into swapping one of these into a pre LS car theyd shut up.

And he kinda mentioned what he did above. Ported and polished heads, a good cam, bored throttle bodies, and a good tune would be good places to start. After that a full exhaust wouldnt hurt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts