Impala Forums banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
That's what I'm waiting for. There is also a rumor that Buick is going to take that powerplant and call it the GNX. Why aren't you turboed yet ejbiers you'be got the knowledge for it? I want to do more to mine but I've got 4 kids and can't afford to experiment so I'm watching what other people do for what works and what doesn't lol. I don't mind giving my two cents either on what I've learned from my other fun cars

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
It's a 3.5 impala with a 4 speed auto and front wheel drive.
That's why im not turbod lol

I was gonna get rid of the car but I bought some things and had some bills and now the 10k that was going down on a ls2 gto or a c5 z06 vette is spent and I gotta save up again. I do plan to build a reliable force induced v8 with around 550 to the wheels.

Iv also done a ton Of research on these things cause I wanted to turbo it but it just doesn't make sense anymore. My car is a peice of shit lemon and I'll never buy another haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
362 Posts
Next time you have 10k get in touch with me. I'll put you in a real turbo car. 10k could by one hell of a turbo regal. I'm talking Grand National,T-type and Turbo T. You put your turbo on the LS1 or LS2 and give me the same amount to mod my turbo regal and it will get you everytime lol. On a serious note if your ever looking let me know I have a lot of knowledge with those cars.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Next time you have 10k get in touch with me. I'll put you in a real turbo car. 10k could by one hell of a turbo regal. I'm talking Grand National,T-type and Turbo T. You put your turbo on the LS1 or LS2 and give me the same amount to mod my turbo regal and it will get you everytime lol. On a serious note if your ever looking let me know I have a lot of knowledge with those cars.
I had a 87 grand national lol not heavily modded though.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Sorry to get in late on this discussion.

There are likely some good reasons why no one has made a kit for this car. Sure one can make a custom kit for it, but it would be very expensive and require a lot of custom work.

Big technical issues to get around would be things like the huge 11.5:1 compression. That alone, on a stock block likely limits you to fairly low levels of boost, likely nothing above 5-7 PSi and that only with an excellently designed tune to support it.

Intercooling would almost have to be mandatory, but that would mean raising the intake manifold at least 2-3 inches and that means adding the looks and costs associated with a custom hood, which would entirely kill that stock look. No stealth factor there, which may mean nothing to some, but would be a deal breaker for me personally.

Those stock exhaust manifolds have to be the funkiest design I have ever seen. For a well designed turbo application, we are looking at custom designed headers and moving the cats to another location, which means a custom exhaust from header to exhaust tips, something that properly done, this alone could potentially raise costs anywhere from $1000 to $3000 or more just by itself.

IMHO if Will (Overkill), said he could build and sell a kit for $5000, he was being both conservative and the design would inherently have a lot of corners cut.

Remotely mounted turbos... has anyone here ever driven a car with a well designed turbo kit and then driven STS powered cars? If you have, you would know that remotely located turbos are considered jokes in the industry by anyone that knows anything about turbos.

One needs to have the turbos as close to the exhaust and intake manifolds as possible. With a turbo mounted in the engine bay, up close, and using a fairly quick spooling turbo, boost lag times are around 1-1.5 seconds.

Now increase the distance from exhaust manifold to turbo around the needed 10+ foot distance to the rear mounted turbo and then need to preassurize the 10+ foot distance back to the engine, one is looking at a typical boost lag time of 3-5 seconds.

Sheesh, before you even start to make power, your friend in the other car is 5 lengths ahead before you even start to make any serious power. On the street if you are making pulls on the highway, not a big issue. On the track, that is not impressive at all. For the money, dyno gains may look good but actual real world use of those systems is an exercise in frustration.

Then as if you needed another reason, there is the issue of that immensly stupidly placed open cone air filter under the car right where the muffler typically is. An invitation to suck in water during wet conditions... hydrolocked engine anyone?

As cool as it would be to boost these vehicles, there are many challenges to doing it right, and that means a lot of time and money. Of course one could settle for mediocre results or reduced engine life, but IMHO, that is not the right way to do things.

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
This is a more interesting thread due to GMs 3.6 new Twin Turbo powerplant, no? ie. CTS V Sport; XTS V Sport. I drove an XTS V sport - honestly it did not feel like the claimed 420 HP to me - but the car was brand new and not broken in at all so who knows. In any event I wonder if any of the GM parts for the TT can actually be transplanted to the Impala 3.6....or my Enclave 3.6. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
We have been supercharging and turbo charging the LLT 11.3:1 CR engines and the LFX 11.5:1 CR engines for years. We maxed around 700 HP but another tuner shop in AR just exceeded 800 HP & 850 TQ. We have over 50 of them running as much as 3 years. avg power is 450-500 hp and still retain decent fuel economy (24-28 highway) if using cruise control.

We have a new Acaidia coming in tomorrow that we are going to Turbo as well and I will share the build.

The direct injection allows the high CR engines to be excellent boosted candidates. Now the front wheel drive vehicles are going to have weak links show in the CV joints and axles I assume, but the CTS & Camaro's we have had no auto trans failures.

Most of these are running high 12's in the 1/4 mile but have the potential to do far better. At least it allows these v6's to spank V8 Camaros, Mustangs, and Mopars:

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
Man, I'm still impressed by your guys work. I'll just throw this out there, I know it's not an engine, or really a platform you work with, but if you put out a turbo setup for the 3.5/3.9 Impalas, I'd throw money at you ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
I am very interested in the Acadia build and ultimate performance improvements. .

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hey look SC2150. People are actually seeing that you do know what you're doing. Lol

No!! I am just make believe, and you can read it on the internet, so it must be true! LOL.

To date we have only done the Ecotech GM's and the 3.0 and 3.6L DI's....but as long as there is a tuning solution we can turbo charge any of these engines. The non-DI's we have to of course use a bigger injector, etc. bu the DI engines have the capability of around 450 plus HP before we need to add supplemental fueling.

The nice thing with the DI's is the lift pump from the tank is supplying the HPDI (high pressure DI) pump and that is where it takes the fuel pressure from 50 or so psi to 2000 psi and the injectors are sufficient as they are.

Since the fuel is not introduced until the final 20% or so of the compression stroke, and is only present for milliseconds before combustion, there is little incidence of detonation as long as oil ingestion is not present, and we take care of that with the oil separating system.

To do one of these on either of the engines mentioned, we would need the car for several weeks as every bit of the hot & cold side piping will need to be fabricated from scratch, but the end result is amazing. We would use a Borg Warner EFR series turbo that the indy cars are standardized with as it is the latest in turbo technology with little lag, and no spooling lost during shifts or momentary throttle lift. They are pricy, but dual ceramic ball bearings and space age materials no other uses as well as a unique internal bypass system eliminating the need for an external wastegate. We still use a BOV as most want to hear the "whoosh" when they lift.

If anyone is serious, wait and see how the Acadia turns out as we are booked several months ahead right now and can't fit any new builds in until then....but you can reserve a slot.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Very curious to see how the Acadia turns out...

Ive been messing around with my Bluetooth OBD and was monitoring my lift pump and inj pump psi. This seems similar to how diesel engines fuel system /injection works... Correct?

On my 12 imp:

Lift pump is between 40 - 50 psi

Inj pump idle approx 600psi @ fuel rail .... Step on the accelerator it hits 2000psi

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
I am very serious for our 2010 Enclave. I truly love that thing - except for the mediocre acceleration (maybe 0-60 in 7.5?) If I could hit 0-60 in less than 6, with retained reliability, I could see myself doing it. Since getting my 3.5 TT Ecoboost in my MKS, I have fallen in love with DI V6 Turbos for the shear power capabilities and still excellent gas mileage.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Very curious to see how the Acadia turns out...

Ive been messing around with my Bluetooth OBD and was monitoring my lift pump and inj pump psi. This seems similar to how diesel engines fuel system /injection works... Correct?

On my 12 imp:

Lift pump is between 40 - 50 psi

Inj pump idle approx 600psi @ fuel rail .... Step on the accelerator it hits 2000psi

Yes, you are dead on. I'm impressed you understand this. The Acadia is a 2014, brand new and he just left. Getting all the parts needed, but he can't be w/out the car until after the 1st of Jan. His goal is a Porsche Cayenne killer that looks sleeper. That wont be an issue as the Porsche is only 400 at the crank and we will be 500-550. He has AWD also so should be killer from a dig.

I am very serious for our 2010 Enclave. I truly love that thing - except for the mediocre acceleration (maybe 0-60 in 7.5?) If I could hit 0-60 in less than 6, with retained reliability, I could see myself doing it. Since getting my 3.5 TT Ecoboost in my MKS, I have fallen in love with DI V6 Turbos for the shear power capabilities and still excellent gas mileage.

The ecoboost is an amazing engine, very impressed with them and there are tune solutions and bolt on's making these unreal quick. 12-13 second 1/4 mile quick.

With a good turbo setup on the Enclave, look at 0-60 in the 5 sec range I would assume as the similar builds we are running high 12's in the 1/4 mile so no reason these should not be low 13's at least.

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
I have a Livernois stage 4+ tune and a K&N Typhoon CAI. No idea if the CAI really helps or not. I just love the sound and BOV noise I hear with the K&N. The Livernois, on the other hand is an amazing transformation. I need to update my signature too. I have been hitting 4.30 to 4.36with some regularity lately. Likely attributable to cooler temps and. the car being more broken in. I would be very very happy with a 5 second 0 to 60 Enclave.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts