Back in Black
4,127 Posts
That what I was planning just need money now

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
plastic

Looks like the best home for a standard mount Turbo is right in front of the stock air box.I do have concerns about the radiator fan shroud. Its plastic. Comments?

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
That's where the LS4 and 3800 guys put their turbos, and while I haven't heard of it being a problem, you may want to find some guys with turbos ( I think quite a few Monte Carlo guys have them) and ask around.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Fab some heat shields...

·
Registered
362 Posts
It might be easier for a remote mount because we would have to fab a different exhaust manifold because our 3.6 manifolds are almost like a collector instead of a manifold and if you're thinking about right in front the 1st cat is right there. As far as feed lines for oil they work off a pump use an inline. The only one you have to worry about is the drain line. Also would you want just oil cooled or both coolant and oil cooled? Another thing if mounted underhood what about a intercooler? We couldn't use what the L67 guys use because they have anywhere from 8to1 thru 9&1/2 to1 compression and I think we are at like 12to1 on our 3.6's and what about the size at least a 60 trim compressor and a .63ar for the hot side or we'll only make boost until about 4,000rpm with something smaller and anything bigger would push to much CFM for our motors to handle. The turbo I just described will make full boost at about 2000rpms and go all the way to 7000rpms. I am going to turbo my ltz. I just want to see some more break through with the computer. Taking out a little torque management and playing with some fuel curves is a lot different than tuning for a turbo. With that said just let me know if I can help. I have a little experience in this field just ask TSS:)

·
Makes your VISION, stop & stare
3,934 Posts
How much you think it will cost to turbo a 3.5L . Front mount turbo and the whole nine yards?

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
There are kits for non superchargerd 3800s, you'd need a custom down pipe and headers, but I would think the other hardware would work, potentially, I'd talk to somebody who makes an existing w-body turbo kit about it

·
Registered
362 Posts
Like I said the problem is we don't really have a exhaust manifold per say It's pretty much a collector so in order to bolt a turbo in the front we would have to fab some sort of up pipe off the collector or maybe fab a crossover pipe with a 3 or 4 bolt flange which would take away from what little room we have. That's why I suggested a remote setup which also leaves more room for the intercooler.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Like I said the problem is we don't really have a exhaust manifold per say It's pretty much a collector so in order to bolt a turbo in the front we would have to fab some sort of up pipe off the collector or maybe fab a crossover pipe with a 3 or 4 bolt flange which would take away from what little room we have. That's why I suggested a remote setup which also leaves more room for the intercooler.
Only lfx turbo systems I have seen are on the end of the downpipes under the car and I'd say for a good reason.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
I just meant in terms of turbo and intercooler placement and the charge piping. Those should be in the same place
That's all the easy stuff as far as fab work goes.

I wish these were like the gm v8 cars where you could run flipped truck manifolds for turbo manifolds.

Anyway I think anyone serious about wanting to turbo a lz engine should just run twin remote turbos right at the end of the downpipes and be done with it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I agree with you EJBIERS but with 11.5 to 1 compression ratio we probably won't see much gains. After saying that. It would be a considerable gain over a lot of smaller mods but also probably really shorten the life of the motor. Would I like to see a turboed 3.6 Impala? Hell yea I love my turbo cars but I just don't think we have come far enough in motor mods yet. I mean the big stuff heads,cams etc. Like Rev extreme has but mostly with camaro's caddy's the rear wheel drive platforms. The only other thing that I was thinking is a M80 or M120 roots style supercharger which doesn't actually make boost because it doesn't compress air it just increases the velocity the air travels. That would give some gains and not be as hard on the motor. Hey Ejbiers I hope you don't think I was trying to argue with you? If so I'm sorry. I just don't think these cars are ready for all this yet. That's why i think I'm gonna get with Rev extreme and see what we can come up with:beer:

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
All-new cylinder block casting
All-new cylinder head castings
Strengthened connecting rods
Forged steel crankshaft
Continuously variable valve timing
Large 38.3 mm intake valves and 30.6 mm sodium-filled exhaust valves
Machined, domed aluminum pistons with top steel ring carrier for greater strength
10.2:1 compression ratio
Patented, integrated charge air cooler system with low-volume air ducts
Two turbochargers produce more than 12 pounds of boost (80 kPa)
Vacuum-actuated wastegates with electronic control valves
All-new direct injection fuel system
Tuned air inlet and outlet resonators, aluminum cam covers and other features that contribute to exceptional quietness and smoothness.

That's what gm did to run a twin turbo lfx in the new caddy.

Can't the parts be interchanged between motors. I haven't seen anything that suggests the motor is different from rwd platforms. Can't parts just be swapped in?

21 - 40 of 74 Posts