Impala Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother has a 1967 Impala SS 396 but he at one time had to replace the rearend. We are trying to ID the gearing in it.

The stamp says "GA1227-B" we think it came out of a 1968 Biscayne.

Thank you in advance for any and all help with this search.

My brother bought this car in 1983 as his first car and she is still taking up the entire garage as she should!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Best way to figure the gear point is to pull the cover and read the code stamped on the gears. Interesting fact my 71 c10 has 3:73 gear but the code on gears is 411. Its 12 bolts cover comes off spin the wheels till gear turns and find the numbers. Can even reuse fluid but my guess it needs changed anyways, good luck with project. Gears may have been changed at some point so gotta open up and see. There is another way by marking drive shaft and wheel and count the rotations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GA Decodes to a '66 to '68 Non-Posi 12-Bolt Rear with 3.07 Gears.
You are
GA Decodes to a '66 to '68 Non-Posi 12-Bolt Rear with 3.07 Gears.

Former National Impala Association member....Car is 396\325 with 307. diff rear gear. Rearend has been changed. Came from 1968 Biscayne. Feels like the .331 4 speed gear.

Fels more perky and torquey then the original .307.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.