Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed that my trunk light was no longer working on my 2009 Impala LTZ. The bulb was burnt out, so I replaced it. However, I checked to see if the light turns off when I closed the trunk lid by folding one of my rear seat backs and the light remained on. I cannot find any switch that the trunk lid would activate to turn off the trunk light. How does the light turn off when the l trunk lid is closed? How can can I fix this problem?

I believe the light turns off after 10 minutes anyway because GM cars like this one have a battery saver mode. However, this saver mode does not activate while driving the vehicle and the trunk light should not be on with the lid closed.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I recently noticed that my trunk light was no longer working on my 2009 Impala LTZ. The bulb was burnt out, so I replaced it. However, I checked to see if the light turns off when I closed the trunk lid by folding one of my rear seat backs and the light remained on. I cannot find any switch that the trunk lid would activate to turn off the trunk light. How does the light turn off when the l trunk lid is closed? How can can I fix this problem?

I believe the light turns off after 10 minutes anyway because GM cars like this one have a battery saver mode. However, this saver mode does not activate while driving the vehicle and the trunk light should not be on with the lid closed.

The switch for the trunk light is contained in the trunk lid latch receiver, at the inside of the trunk (middle, at the bottom). If you look closely, there is a black plastic lever that is moved when the trunk lid is closed. You can move the switch lever with your finger or a small tool. If the lever is broken or deformed, you will have to replace the latch / switch assembly (simply unbolts and unplugs).

You are correct, the 10-minute light “turn off” feature does not operate with the trunk light.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The spring loaded lever is intact, so the problem may be internal to the latch receiver itself. I am not sure if the receiver can be easily changed out, one may have to remove the rear bumper first, if the recevier is bolted from the rear.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The spring loaded lever is intact, so the problem may be internal to the latch receiver itself. I am not sure if the receiver can be easily changed out, one may have to remove the rear bumper first, if the recevier is bolted from the rear.

The latch receiver is easy to change - from inside the trunk.

Open the trunk lid. Remove the horizontal plastic trim piece that runs the length of the rear of the trunk opening, at the bottom - which surrounds the latch receiver. Use your fingers to pry on the underside, at the rear (inside of the trunk) of the trim piece. It is held in position with several spring clips that are snapped onto the trim piece. Do not loosen one side and pull up - you will break the piece. Use your hands on the left and right side of the piece at the same time as you pull up.

The part has several bolts which car easy to remove. Note the position of the part. If I remember correctly, it can be adjusted up or down, then the bolts tightened when the new one is installed (it may have elongated bolt holes). It is slightly adjustable to ensure the trunk lid fits snug and flush.

I would suspect the electrical latch is defective, even though it is present and can be moved.

I own a 2014 Impala 2LTZ - and previously owned 2008, 2009 and 2012 Impala LTZ models.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fixed the problem in about five minutes. The part that is faulty is the latch receiver mounted on the trunk lid, not the latch itself mounted on the bottom trunk lip. The latch receiver has a built-in handle for manually releasing the trunk lid if a person were to be locked up inside the trunk accidentally.

I got the latch receiver from the local LKQ you pull junkyard for about $ 15, including a new trunk light, as my old one was scorched on the inside from the light staying on after the trunk was closed. I believe the receiver part is rather pricey new from GM -probably at least $ 100.

To remove and replace the latch receiver on the trunk lid, you need to remove four plastic retainers that hold up the trunk lid inner liner near the receiver. An upholstery retainer removal tool works best. Then remove the two plastic bumpers on the lid by unscrewing them counterclockwise. At this point you can pull down enough of the trunk lid liner to get good access to the receiver. The latch receiver is held in place with three 10 mm head bolts. Remove the bolts and press in two small plastic tabs that hold the receiver to the lid. The receiver has only one electrical connector, pull it straight out, it has no retaining clip.

The trunk light now comes on as soon as the trunk is electrically released and goes off immediately after the trunk lid is closed shut. I verified this by folding one of the rear seatbacks and watching the trunk light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts