Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,

The tail lights needed some improvement on my 2014 LTZ. I liked the way the newer Traverse tails looked so I decided to try it myself. I taped off the look I wanted and sprayed 4 coats of black Plastidip and 2 coats of clear. I think it came out really nice. Definitely a nice improvement.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Looks good! Another member did the same thing using black vinyl (I think). I think this looks a little better.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
That looks really good!

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
That does look great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
838 Posts
Sexy! Now you must always drive fast to show them off! lol

·
That Guy!!
1,424 Posts
That looks really nice and professional. GOOD JOB!

·
Registered
23 Posts
How do you think this would look on a black car? Seems like it wouldn't stand out very well. But hopefully I'm wrong.

·
That Guy!!
1,424 Posts
How do you think this would look on a black car? Seems like it wouldn't stand out very well. But hopefully I'm wrong.
While I agree with you that it may not stand out as well. I still think it would look great!

·
Registered
75 Posts
That does look very nice. That is the one part of this car that is ugly, is the tail lights. I have the same car but 2016 and can't believe they don't have LED taillights! This really breaks it up. Like it..

John

·
Registered
144 Posts
Been looking to do something to make the tail-end stand out!

That looks awesome! Certainly going to give this a try. Did you take the tail lights out and did you scuff sand them prior to paint and clear coating?

I think that would be the perfect touch of class and add some balance to an otherwise dull tail-end. I was also consider adding a chrome strip at the lower lip of the trunk lid (see attached photo, dark Impala) but not sure how much contrast I would get against the White Diamond Pearl Tricoat paint.

All thoughts and advance are welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did not remove the lights. I taped and covered everything before spraying. I did not sand prior. It has been almost 4 years and it still looks as good as the day I did it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
That looks awesome! Certainly going to give this a try. Did you take the tail lights out and did you scuff sand them prior to paint and clear coating?

I think that would be the perfect touch of class and add some balance to an otherwise dull tail-end. I was also consider adding a chrome strip at the lower lip of the trunk lid (see attached photo, dark Impala) but not sure how much contrast I would get against the White Diamond Pearl Tricoat paint.

All thoughts and advance are welcome!
IMO i think that little chrome pinstripe on the trunk lid looks really good on that dark paint. I'm going to add that to mine now, thanks lol.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
All,

The tail lights needed some improvement on my 2014 LTZ. I liked the way the newer Traverse tails looked so I decided to try it myself. I taped off the look I wanted and sprayed 4 coats of black Plastidip and 2 coats of clear. I think it came out really nice. Definitely a nice improvement.
That looks good in the pictures.
I like these little OEM+ kind of modifications that make it uniquely your rig but don't scream "LOOK AT ME!!"

Reactions: USN24

·
Registered
144 Posts
2014 LTZ 2LZ Taillight trim blackout

I would like to Thank IL_imp for the inspiration. I just finished my tail light trim blackout and love the results. I figured this would give a nice contrast to the White Diamond paint but WOW, I am super pleased. I think it is just what the tailend of the car needed to give it a more sophisticated appearance. Any comments or feedback is always welcome.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts