Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to put Tri-Y Headers on a completely stock motor? If so, what type of performance difference would they make over the stock headers. What is the advantage of Tri-Y's over Quad-1's?

Any help is appreciated:smile:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for the response, that seems to be a little more work to do and I guess I'll probably go ahead and get a few more parts before I decide to just swap the heads out so that I can get it all done at once.

As for the exhaust, the stock system is gone and we've gone with a complete new Flowmaster system. I'm not exactly sure as my car is a hammy-down and my mother seems to have a bad memory:rolleyes: How much of a problem would it be in the case of an aftermarket exhaust system?

·
Registered
3 Posts
hookers are for trash

Go with the tri-y's. everyone in my group has had nothing but glowing comments about them. If you hate yourself (like I did) and you are on the cheap, the hooker headers can be installed... but trust me, lots of knuckle busting, lots of "WTF was this engineer thinking!" and lots of modifications (putting dents in pipes so you can just get the bolts up to the header!

Hell, I went and got new bolts, threw away the ones that came with mine, bought strong washers, ground them down to fit around the bends, and used those to help get the right fit.

Trust me, go with the tri-y's! ;-)

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Gen I and Gen II try-y's are designed for Bolt-on cars, with stock or close to stock Heads/Cam.

They Quads are full on race style headers. Perfect for Big Heads/Cam package, Stroker Motor, Or Boost applications.

Think ahead to what you want to accomplish with this car, If your gonna keep it a bolt on car, and do nothing SERIOUS with the motor. Go with the Try-y's. If you plan on something huge later down the road. Save for that and get the Quads later.

Im waiting on Dan to get back a set of Semi-New Coated Gen II try-y's so he can examine them, touch them up if necessary. Then hes sending them to me.

Like stated before, save up for the Try-y's. And dont look back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Presuming that the flomaster system was hooked up to the stock manifolds and stock cats (the Tri-Y's and 570 CFM cats replace these pieces) you should not have a problem since the flomaster system should already "end" in the right (stock) place.

If something else was done, a good muffler shop should not have a problem joining the two systems.

HTH
its actually 590 CFM btw. And Flowmasters dont flow much better than stock mufflers. Very minimal performance gain. I would go with a set of spintech's

·
Registered
1 Posts
Absolutely you can do Tri-y's on a stock motor. That, a torque converter, and a gear will be the best mods you can do if you want to keep the motor stock.

A Snap-on 3/8" wrench will make your life a ton easier with the install. I also have an S-K short wrench I use for the back bolts. I always have to tighten them in a certain order. You'll see the ones that are going to run into the primary if you don't run them in first. I run those in some, then run the rest in to the same point, then repeat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts