Impala Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 Impala lt with roughly 163000 miles. The tranny has been slipping slightly for about 4 1/2 years which i know is that darn input clutch piston issue. I have had it looked at yearly and of course when it is looked at it works fine. Now though I seem to be having another issue. This past November and December I had a severe oil leak fixed. Now I have noticed a tranny fluid leak on my driveway. It is noticeable but when I check my fluid levels they are perfectly normal which is very confusing. I am sure it is tranny fluid and not oil or brake or power steering fluid. I know it is getting close to time for me to change out my tranny cause even though the slipping has eased up I see (metal glitter ) in my tranny fluid. I have been doing regular fluid changes but was told now to be careful changing it cause it could cause more damage. So now I am at the crossroads. Should I just get a performance tranny or just get mine rebuilt? I need some opinions please.

·
Registered
481 Posts
How do you change your fluid? If it is just a pan drop and putting new fluid in, I would not be afraid of causing more damage. Or if you siphon it out of the dipstick tube. I think the potential from causing damage is when you do a fluid flush with very old fluid.

How long do you plan on keeping the car? Unless its for over 300k, I wouldn't bother with the upgraded transmission. I would be looking to find a good reputable shop to rebuild the one you got.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I as i said am at about 163,000 miles to be exact i want to say its 162,800. I want to keep the car about another 5 years but it has been a fun project car recently for more doing upgrades and putting mods on it. I have loved the impala style for decades i actual have a 61 at my grandmothers old yard i want to ship out to me once i move to fix up then my 08 will probably become the rare car to use, may even be sold once the 61 is up and running. As i said though my full plan is to keep my impala atleast 5 more years and if it is still running hard then I,ll probably keep it til it starts showing real issues.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I as i said am at about 163,000 miles to be exact i want to say its 162,800. I want to keep the car about another 5 years but it has been a fun project car recently for more doing upgrades and putting mods on it. I have loved the impala style for decades i actual have a 61 at my grandmothers old yard i want to ship out to me once i move to fix up then my 08 will probably become the rare car to use, may even be sold once the 61 is up and running. As i said though my full plan is to keep my impala atleast 5 more years and if it is still running hard then I,ll probably keep it til it starts showing real issues.
My full dream is to find a 5.3l flex model which i know they are around but rare and drop in it with a new tranny at that time and built it up to the true muscle car experince it can have even for it being FWD.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you change your fluid? If it is just a pan drop and putting new fluid in, I would not be afraid of causing more damage. Or if you siphon it out of the dipstick tube. I think the potential from causing damage is when you do a fluid flush with very old fluid.

How long do you plan on keeping the car? Unless its for over 300k, I wouldn't bother with the upgraded transmission. I would be looking to find a good reputable shop to rebuild the one you got.
I just got the diagnosis on my leak which is the input seal got damaged by my damaged input clutch piston was what I was told. I am still out on the rebuild or buy a fully redone tranny. I'm going to be pricing both and see the better route to take.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts