Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when accelerating from a stop (slowly, normally, not aggressively), the tranny/drive train "clunks" like it's being jerked into gear or like it jumped out of gear and back in. It seems random, but I'm concerned it will do some serious damage.

Would appreciate feedback regarding the cause and fix...........James

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
what year car and engine would help

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
what year car and engine would help
along with this does it rev without moving kinda acting like its in neutral and then catch and accelerate ? As it makes this "clunk", is it just one or multiple clunks?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Also the mileage might help, as it could be a routine maintenance type of part worn out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1) It's a 2006 Impala LT, 3.5 L engine, ~73,000 miles.
2) It just makes one clunk.
3) "along with this does it rev without moving kinda acting like its in neutral and then catch and accelerate ? As it makes this "clunk"," That's what it does.

Thanks for the replies so far, please keep em' comin'

P.S. I don't know at what mileage it started, probably in the last 5K miles.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
1) It's a 2006 Impala LT, 3.5 L engine, ~73,000 miles.
2) It just makes one clunk.
3) "along with this does it rev without moving kinda acting like its in neutral and then catch and accelerate ? As it makes this "clunk"," That's what it does.

Thanks for the replies so far, please keep em' comin'

P.S. I don't know at what mileage it started, probably in the last 5K miles.
have you ever had the transmission serviced, (fluid and filter)

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
when you get some free time, find a safe spot like an empty parking lot.
manually place the car into 2nd gear and accelerate from a dead stop as you would normally do when it makes the "clunk". do this several times to see if it does the same thing, if it doesn't "clunk" 1st gear could be slipping.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Zmech, I see you're already getting great feedback from owners on this forum! If you would like me to check my GM resources for recalls or contact your dealer on your behalf, then don't hesitate to send me a private message anytime.

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
when you get some free time, find a safe spot like an empty parking lot.
manually place the car into 2nd gear and accelerate from a dead stop as you would normally do when it makes the "clunk". do this several times to see if it does the same thing, if it doesn't "clunk" 1st gear could be slipping.
Except that it will still start out in 1st, so that won't tell you anything.

This is a common problem, so far nobody seems to have a fix for it, just baby it and hope it lasts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts