Impala Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '09 LTZ with 3.9 engine and 4 speed auto transmission. I am at 134k miles now, bought the car new. I have changed transmission fluid and filter every 45K miles so far. No issues with the transmission yet, but I am worried about longevity of these as they are not the most robust units out there. The car resale value has depreciated to the point where it is cheaper just to drive it until failure and then throw it away or maybe install a rebuilt transmission? How many miles can I expect out of the original transmission assuming fairly conservative driving habits?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ive seen multiple units with 250k on them, and no signs of stopping. I have however also had to rebuild units with less than 10k miles. What youre doing seems to be working. Dont change, dont stress.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i have 160k on mine so far. i will note the past 5-10k have had a bit of an issue with the slip bump on take off randomly. seems to be more so when i do only city driving, after doing a 4 hour road trip it seems to happen less than it had in the past few weeks. i'm in the same boat, if it fails outright i will probably just have it rebuilt and continue driving it. no rust in the car and motor is solid. plus no payments/future challenger scat pack are the main reasons lol.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I have 123 000 kms on mine and it is slipping and banging into gear. I'm thinking of trying some Lucas tranny repair and see what happens?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have 123 000 kms on mine and it is slipping and banging into gear. I'm thinking of trying some Lucas tranny repair and see what happens?
Check DTCs to see if it has P1811 stored. its very possible you just need a pressure regulator solenoid

·
Registered
38 Posts
My '06 with 310K on it is having the tranny replaced this week. The past few months have noted slipping, and the torque converter is starting to exhibit signs of weakening / failure. The pressure solenoids have also been providing the clunky starts once in a while as well, but with 310K, these issues are to be expected. The new (used) unit with 57K on it, is being provided with a 3yr / unlimited mileage warranty, so I expect to have it go at least that long.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have an '09 LTZ with 3.9 engine and 4 speed auto transmission. I am at 134k miles now, bought the car new. I have changed transmission fluid and filter every 45K miles so far. No issues with the transmission yet, but I am worried about longevity of these as they are not the most robust units out there. The car resale value has depreciated to the point where it is cheaper just to drive it until failure and then throw it away or maybe install a rebuilt transmission? How many miles can I expect out of the original transmission assuming fairly conservative driving habits?

If more people serviced the trannies like you do, there would be longer life out of their transmissions. Good job. Though I'd recommend the flush every 30,000 miles. More frequently for people who own vehicles that have CVTs on their vehicles.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Don't flush the 4T65E. Just change the fluid.
If you don't have a Magnefine filter installed... replace the strainer.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Let's not forget the benefits of an auxiliary transmission cooler - they are NOT just for trailer towing or "severe duty vehicles" (e.g., police, fleet, or taxi). Excessive heat build-up is a major contributing factor to transmission failures.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Let's not forget the benefits of an auxiliary transmission cooler - they are NOT just for trailer towing or "severe duty vehicles" (e.g., police, fleet, or taxi). Excessive heat build-up is a major contributing factor to transmission failures.
Yup.
The stock radiator loop cooler will only pull the trans temp down to the engine coolant temp... at best... 210°F is to darn high.
Ideally, for long life, you want to see trans temps in the 160°-180°F range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My '06 with 310K on it is having the tranny replaced this week. The past few months have noted slipping, and the torque converter is starting to exhibit signs of weakening / failure. The pressure solenoids have also been providing the clunky starts once in a while as well, but with 310K, these issues are to be expected. The new (used) unit with 57K on it, is being provided with a 3yr / unlimited mileage warranty, so I expect to have it go at least that long.

Hi I know this is a old thread but would you kindly update how the replacement transmission worked out for you. Also if you would share what the tranny replacement cost was?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Flushing is generally not a great idea. A pan drop and filter change is a good thing. Use Dex6 in these newer ones. My daughter has a '10 and just lost fourth gear in it. It had 189,000 miles. If the pans are the same from '98 and up, Intense Racing or ZZPerformance had/has a pan with heatsinks on it and a drain plug to make oil changes easier and neater, even if you do drop the pan to change the filter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yup.
The stock radiator loop cooler will only pull the trans temp down to the engine coolant temp... at best... 210°F is to darn high.
Ideally, for long life, you want to see trans temps in the 160°-180°F range.
It all depends on how you drive it. I had a Cutlass with a 330HP V6 backed up by a 4T65E-HD that never went above 190*. No external cooler on that one. In case you're wondering, I drove it hard. It probably helped that I had a 180* thermostat in it, and the PCM had been altered, including fan 1 turn on at 181* and fan 2 turn on at 190*.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It probably helped that I had a 180* thermostat in it, and the PCM had been altered, including fan 1 turn on at 181* and fan 2 turn on at 190*.
That's exactly why the Transmission ran that cool.
You won't get away with lower than stock thermostat temps in the Gen 8 & 9 Impala.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
183k miles on my car now. Transmission still shifts as it should.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts