Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately, my tranny will buck at high revs going from 1st to 2nd. If passing, and I floor it, the car does not seem to speed up like it used to. If I keep my foot to the floor, it may not change to 3rd, and can buck. I have to let up for it to go to 3rd. If I take off too hard from a stop it will clunk loudly, and seem to slam into gear and take off. If I baby it, she drives fine. I know I probably need to replace it....but Rock Auto, who has the best prices around wants 2206.99!! Thats with the core added in...:gaah:

The car is OLD...has 133k....How can I justify $2200???

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Maybe a tep? Justified cause you love your impy :)

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
I do a junkyard trans to keep your car going at a low cost.

Just drop the trans pan at the junk yard to get a good idea of what condition the trans is in.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Does seem like a good idea Ej!

·
Super Moderator
18,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe a tep? Justified cause you love your impy :)
Vassaslos, 'TEP' .....??:dunno:

I do a junkyard trans to keep your car going at a low cost.

Just drop the trans pan at the junk yard to get a good idea of what condition the trans is in.
HMmmm.....mebbe I do that......Good ideee......:clap:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Sounds like your solenoids are crapping out, it would be cheaper to replace them. That being said, I have had pretty good success with junkyard transmissions. Just make sure they offer a 30 day warranty, incase something is wrong with it.

·
Super Moderator
18,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like your solenoids are crapping out, it would be cheaper to replace them. That being said, I have had pretty good success with junkyard transmissions. Just make sure they offer a 30 day warranty, incase something is wrong with it.

That too! And, I was wondering...are there rebuild kits? Can I just order one of those, and bring it to my mechanic? (I have a really good mechanic works after hours...):wink:

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Agree it is likely the pressure solenoid or shift solenoid.

Tony: Does this problem seem worse when the car is cold?

My car is also struggling to shift when cold and sitting over night. Summertime it shifts like a dream. When cold the solenoid struggles to move/actuate. Once it get's moving it works just fine and shifts properly. Nothing to worry about quite yet for me.

Having it rebuilt is going to cost more than its worth in my opinion. If you plan to keep the car for a while I would just have a trans built by triple edge or buy a rebuilt trans and have a mechanic drop it in.

·
Super Moderator
18,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agree it is likely the pressure solenoid or shift solenoid.

Tony: Does this problem seem worse when the car is cold?

My car is also struggling to shift when cold and sitting over night. Summertime it shifts like a dream. When cold the solenoid struggles to move/actuate. Once it get's moving it works just fine and shifts properly. Nothing to worry about quite yet for me.

Having it rebuilt is going to cost more than its worth in my opinion. If you plan to keep the car for a while I would just have a trans built by triple edge or buy a rebuilt trans and have a mechanic drop it in.
It actually shifts just fine when cold! I think maybe bettrer than when warm!:dunno:

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
It actually shifts just fine when cold! I think maybe bettrer than when warm!:dunno:
Hmm :dunno:

When is the last time the trans fluid and filter where replaced?

·
Super Moderator
18,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm :dunno:

When is the last time the trans fluid and filter where replaced?
I actually had that done the oil change before last, but they only changed the fluid, because of the high mileage. No flush either. I was told it could just be the shift modules, which are on the outside of the tranny. I may wait until it gets nice out and work on that with my brother....(He was a GM mechanic many years ago):hope:

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
think tony, if you got the money you can find another imp for about the cost of a new trans. i got mine for 1800. and its a 2004. your car is 13 years old haha aim high tony look for an 04-05 SS:) haha but like king and ej said, maybe junkyard trans. also as far as the rebuild kits go make sure your mechanic has exp in this trans. and if he does rebuild it, buy him the trans star book. we rebuilt these transmissions in school and used the trans star book 100% of the time and it went back together like i had done 100 of them. just need the special compression claws to compress the clutch packs and a bunch of snap ring pliers.

·
Super Moderator
18,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
think tony, if you got the money you can find another imp for about the cost of a new trans. i got mine for 1800. and its a 2004. your car is 13 years old haha aim high tony look for an 04-05 SS:) haha but like king and ej said, maybe junkyard trans. also as far as the rebuild kits go make sure your mechanic has exp in this trans. and if he does rebuild it, buy him the trans star book. we rebuilt these transmissions in school and used the trans star book 100% of the time and it went back together like i had done 100 of them. just need the special compression claws to compress the clutch packs and a bunch of snap ring pliers.

Thanks, I'll keep all that in "mind"! I have been thinking about a junkyard trans. Now, on th eoutside off the trans, aren't there vaccum modules? Could it just be it/them?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
No vacuum on these trannies, it's all electronic, and internal. Shifting is controlled by solenoids, which I think might be your problem. They are inside the side cover.

·
Super Moderator
18,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No vacuum on these trannies, it's all electronic, and internal. Shifting is controlled by solenoids, which I think might be your problem. They are inside the side cover.
I was just going to ask about them! I just tried to look up vacuum modules, and wound up looking at solenoids! So THAT could cause the car to slam and lurch taking off hard?

·
Super Moderator
18,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Tripleedgeperformance.com also sells em too

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
That could, and most likely DOES explain the slamming into gear. The PCS (pressure control solenoid) could be partially clogged, keeping it from working properly until the fluid warms up and gets more viscous.

Reactions: tonyc712000
1 - 20 of 38 Posts