Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 03 LS has many miles on the original tranny. 202k to be exact. recently i noticed the occurence of intermittant hard shifting and lately more pronounced slipping. i changed the filter and fluid about 30k miles ago. am i looking at a shot trans or should i attempt to change the fluid/filter and prolong its life?....

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I don't think a fluid change is what they are talking about. A transmission flush is different and doesn't just replace pan fluid, it actually "cleans" the transmission and refills it entirely.

Why this is a concern is over time the broken down "sludge" in the transmission assists seals in seating properly as they wear. If thats gone and things can't seal as well slipping can occur. At least this is the thought.

Your hard shifts would, imo, be solenoids but the slipping is most certainly worn clutch pads (transmission innards).

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Agreed. Except I think what he is referring to is that people say not to change the tranny fluid if it is high mileage and never been done before, since you did it 30k miles ago, that is not a concern. Service it again, and see what you can get out of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts