Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2006 LT with 130,000 miles. driven very conservatively and in fantastic shape mechanically.

the car had "transmission service" about 30,000 miles ago by previous owner (my uncle) at a very reputable independent tranny shop. invoice lists "transmission service", filter, gasket and 8.5 quarts of fluid. The shop is closed (guy retired) so I can't call and ask whether they did a machine flush, cooler line passive flush, or just dropped the pan and topped it off but considering it only holds 7.6 quarts I'm assuming all the fluid was changed either way.

fluid now is orangey and I'm looking to have it changed. What is everyones experience with this? I'm committed to NOT allowing any kind of pressurized flush machine near the car but I'm debating between a cooler line flush where you let the natural force of the transmission pump out the fluid or just dropping the pan but then you only change a small amount of fluid.

I've also read that when you have the pan dropped there are some exposed valve body bolts that should be checked for torque...anyone know anything about this? Any help appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I always just do a pan drop fluid/filter change each 30k mi. Performing the cooler line/tranny pump procedure is simply a matter of choice. Don't let the the pump run dry, you'll use a lot more atf and you still have to drop the pan for filter swap.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The only way to change the filter is drop the pan. Since the pan was dropped I doubt they did any type of flush. Sounds like a good shop that serviced the trans correctly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only way to change the filter is drop the pan. Since the pan was dropped I doubt they did any type of flush. Sounds like a good shop that serviced the trans correctly.
I'd ideally like to do both. change the filter as well as change all the fluid. 1Road on YouTube shows the process on an older suburban. did the cooler line flush then dropped the pan did the filter and topped off the fluid. I understand you end up wasting a decent amount of fluid this way but I like the idea of all new fluid unless anyone can convince me it is a bad idea. I am curious what the dealer would do.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
On the 2000-2011 4T65E:
Install a Magnefine filter in the fluid return from the cooler.
Automatic transmission have a 100micron pickup strainer... not a filter. Install a new WIX strainer and pickup tube seal in the transmission. This is the last time you'll ever need to service the strainer.
Do the pan magnet TSB.
Install a drain plug in the transmission pan.
Change the Magnefine with every engine oil change for the first four cycles then change every other oil change.
Drain and re-fill the pan with Dexron VI every oil change for the first four cycles and then every four cycles.

On the 2012-2016 6T70 family:
The six speed strainer is only serviceable by removing and completely disassembling the transmission.
Change the Magnefine with every engine oil change for the first four cycles then change every other oil change.
Drain and re-fill the pan with Dexron VI every oil change for the first four cycles and then every four cycles.

If the fluid is really nasty you can do a full fluid swap via the cooler lines.
However.
Draining and re-filling the pan every 500 miles three or four or even five times along with changing the inline Magnefine filter will do the same thing without the possibility of running the pump dry.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the 2000-2011 4T65E:
Automatic transmission have a 100micron pickup strainer... not a filter. Install a new WIX strainer and pickup tube seal in the transmission. This is the last time you'll ever need to service the strainer.
Do the pan magnet TSB.
Install a drain plug in the transmission pan.

On the 2012-2016 6T70 family:
The six speed strainer is only serviceable by removing and completely disassembling the transmission.

If the fluid is really nasty you can do a full fluid swap via the cooler lines.
However.
Draining and re-filling the pan every 500 miles three or four or even five times along with changing the inline Magnefine filter will do the same thing without the possibility of running the pump dry.
are you saying I won't need to service the strainer again because the magnefine will eliminate the need to? I had planned to use the OEM strainer is wix better? also what are your thoughts on the transgo kit? I am not having any current trans issues. shifts fine. thanks for the advice!!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
are you saying I won't need to service the strainer again because the magnefine will eliminate the need to? I had planned to use the OEM strainer is wix better? also what are your thoughts on the transgo kit? I am not having any current trans issues. shifts fine. thanks for the advice!!
Yes. If you service the Magnefine regularly the strainer will not need to be serviced again.
The strainer is @ 100micron screen or paper element. It's a filter of sorts but it passes crud that's @99.9999 microns and smaller when new... even with a layer of crud that's restricting flow somewhat it still will pass 95-99micron particles.
The Magnefine is 25micron paper hydraulic filter element with a big hairy magnet and a bypass valve JIC the paper element gets plugged up. If it's changed at every, or at worst every other, engine oil change it shouldn't get enough crud in the element to come close to plugging it up.
The magnet in the Magnefine should catch the iron particles that would normally attach to the pan magnets so those will not likely need to be serviced either. Good to have them in place anyway but just as a second line of defense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts