Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a 03 Impala ls and im in the process of changing my transmission fluid, The whole process is very easy and very messy...lol:yikes:...but im having a problem trying to get the filter seal grommet to tightly stay snug inside the transmission case:dunno: The seal that goes in the tranny case is kinda loose:gaah:, Is there anything i can use or buy to fix my minor problem:cool:...I appreciate everyones time...thanks:eek:k3:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Seal

It will be a little loose. You may be just worrying a little too much on this. You can take that filter out and as long as you have the right amount of fluid it will pick it up and run. Plug the filter in, button up the pan and drive it.

Jeff

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I have never had a seal be loose, I would think it's either the wrong seal, or the hole is worn out. Make damn sure it's not going to fall out or leak around it.

Reactions: Lucky1

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sanity

Being that no-one here except the owner and person working on that transmission knows for a fact what degree of loose or not it is, I find it unecessary for the insult. I will keep it in mind though. You may not agree with someone, however there is no need for that. With that said, I have built more than a few transmissions, both front and rear wheel drive. Have you?

Jeff

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I can't speak for anyone else, but those seals always have to be driven in. So if it could be considered loose in any fashion, that indicates a problem to me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Jeffs409 ouch.:whip2:

I too have always needed to drive or say tap the seals into place. But in all truthfulness I have only done a handful of seal replacements.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Seal

You guys are probably right. I have worked for at least 6 different transmission shops over the years. I haven't worked in one since the mid 90's though. I have worked on transmissions on the side occassionally, but seldom since. I agree that most are snug at least. I just want to keep it things civil is all, and for some people who are not as versed they may see things differently. I will say I might have asked him to describe how loose it was because I have seen loose filters. I also know that although it's NOT a good idea, you can run it without a filter, but I wouldn't do it either.

jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts