Impala Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, took the 2007 Impala in for tire rotation and alignment check and they found the transmission cooler lines were leaking, not too badly though.

The estimate for the lines was 150 (plus labor, fluid etc).

Checked out rockauto.com and they show four different lines, all AC Delco

15264590 inlet 21.79
15264597 outlet 23.79
19130472 inlet 140.79
19130473 outlet 99.89

They didn't show a picture of the more expensive lines but pictures on Amazon looked the same as the cheaper parts. Does anyone know if the cheaper ones are factory equivalent? And I can understand a price difference if the other ones are heavier duty but that seems like a drastic jump.

EDITED: Should have noticed this before posting. The two more expensive items are 'transmission aux pipe' and the other two are just 'transmission hose'. With a 2007 3.5 LT would I just be needing the cheaper hoses?

Thanks for any info you can offer.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Never skimp out on transmission parts, an Impalas transmission isn't the toughest out there to begin with.

Reactions: DJ_Vasquezz

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never skimp out on transmission parts, an Impalas transmission isn't the toughest out there to begin with.
I know what you're saying. I'm just trying to figure out if the cheaper set is original equipment spec. Since the shop wanted 150 for the pair (don't know what brand they use) I'm sure they would be using something similar to that.

With both sets on rockauto being AC Delco that just seemed like a big price jump for an upgrade.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
The shop was more than likely going to use compression fittings and make the new lines.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Much for the replies Volume and Scotty! I like the diagrams Tonkin Online has. Car was also due for a tranny fluid change so I'll change the lines at the same time. :eek:k3:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Wtf? Thats one of my local dealers, why are you guys using them?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wtf? Thats one of my local dealers, why are you guys using them?
I'm not, just like that they offer parts diagrams. It's a little far to drive from Minneapolis/St. Paul to get there!
Anyway, since you replied King, on my 2007 Impala 3.5 can I replace just the connectors to the tranny cooling lines if the lines themselves don't have damage? I was looking at getting the AC Delco inlet and outlet lines from rockauto.com which have the rubber seal/grommet but no connector. They have only one type of connector listed on their website where the diagrams I have seen seem to suggest different connectors depending on whether it's to the radiator or the tranny. Radiator connectors seem the same, tranny connectors different.

I'll replace both lines if need be just want to make sure I order all the parts that I will need.

Any chance anyone can clarify this? Got a bunch of things that piled up on my plate all at once so any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Yes you can replace just the connectors, the two on the radiator are the same, the two on the trans are different. In fact, if the line itself is not leaking, replacing it won't help, the seal inside the connector is the leak. When ordering, they will ask you upper or lower, that refers to the placement of the line on the radiator side.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes you can replace just the connectors, the two on the radiator are the same, the two on the trans are different. In fact, if the line itself is not leaking, replacing it won't help, the seal inside the connector is the leak. When ordering, they will ask you upper or lower, that refers to the placement of the line on the radiator side.
Thanks, actually just got done getting underneath the car before ordering parts. The rubber part of the hoses have a little grime but the inlet hose connection to the tranny is leaking. Took some hunting to clarify which part was correct for my 2007 3.5, one dealer said it was 24236555 and another said that was only for 2008 and newer. Rockauto has the part but its listed under 2008 also. Found enough evidence to go with that one though.

Long story short, yes, I will only be doing the connector. Just another example of a shop quoting a repair that wasn't correct.:gaah:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Guys..I made a video on how to replace the transmission line fittings by the tranny side..The car in my video is a 2007 impala..You guys can also check out my youtube channel (klowny1969) for alot more impala videos. If you guys want you can also subscribe to my channel for free to be updated on any new videos i post..Enjoy!

PS..I also take any video requests ... stay tuned for an impala driver side control arm replacement video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcP3FbDGL_o

·
Registered
59 Posts
... the inlet hose connection to the tranny is leaking.
Jim, I've been tying to determine which line goes from the tranny to the cooler and which is the return from cooler. Any help? Also, I noticed the internal seals on the fittings are the same size, are the fittings the same p/n as well?

Klowny,

Thanks for the vid. That part seems to be a common problem on these cars, specifically the seal you mentioned. From a newcomer's perspective, this is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to find when I originally became a member but have been hard pressed to find.

I might be mistaken but it appears that many people are buying the complete line assembly just to get a new inner seal on the fitting (I'm assuming the fitting is included w/ the lines). I recently replaced the ONLY the seals on my wife's 2006 3.5L. I used a -7 o-ring (same size in both fittings) out of a Harbor Freight o-ring kit, the fix worked but not for more than a couple of weeks. The kit just uses standard buna-n (buna nitrile) O-rings and mine is probably 10 years old. I'm going to try again with some mil-spec silicone seals. Hopefully that does the trick, if not I guess I'll replace the fittings, which brings me to:

How did you find this the 24236554 p/n from you video? I searched the forum and didn't get any hits, I did find the 23236555 p/n, but only in this thread by jim1405, you both mention it in the context of a 2007, the wife's car is a 2006.

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey man..thanks for watching..Just go to RockAuto.com and search for transmission line fittings..i believe they were like 2 bux each..i bought a couple just to be safe..Since you guys like my impala vid..ill try and make some more..u can subscribe to my channel for free also, and you will be updated whenever i make a new impala video..

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are leaking it is the seals on the inside of the fittings.
Replacing the line would be a waste. I have the same problem and have not been able to find where to get the fittings. I am thinking that they may be a dealer only item.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just reference the p/n's mentioned above. To save a couple of more bucks buy the fittings that connect lines to the radiator/cooler. Those fittings are a little cheaper and have the same o-ring seals that the trans fittings do. Just use the new seals in the old fittings. The radiator/cooler fittings also come with the same retaining clips as the the trans fittings in in case you lose the clip during the swap. I've been leak free for several months now with daily useage.

·
Registered
63 Posts
this post looks old, but to anyone having the cooler line leak problems, I had them too. I fixed them by doing exactly what the above 2 people said. I ordered new parts fittings, but found them to be slightly different and cheaper-feeling than the old ones, so I took the little rubber rings out of the new fittings, put them in the old ones, and now its all good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts