Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1967 impala 327 with the 3 speed auto. Modest power from a stop causes the trans to pop out of Drive and go into Neutral. Also, Park, Reverse and Neutral all have solid gear selection (detent) Drive is very vague to tell if it is in gear. Fluid is good color and full. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Lance
Edited to add; i am an idiot, I took the car for a drive, and it is a powerglide 2 speed. If the car is traveling at approximately 30 mph, and you floor it, it will pop out of drive and into neutral. If you keep your hand on the shifter it will stay engaged.

Lance

·
Registered
47 Posts
How are your engine and transmission mounts? If the mounts are old and soft the engine/trans are moving all around while you're accelerating, while the bottom of the column remains in the same position relative to the body/frame, if it's bad enough it can pull the transmission into another gear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Believe it or not, while I was checking the linkage, I found that a recent change in the path of the exhaust system placed the tailpipe directly under the linkage into the tranny. So, we could shift from park all the way into Neutral, but the lever would run into the tailpipe and not allow us to go into drive completely. It has now been fixed. Thanks for the help.

Lance :redface:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts