Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my newly aquired 94 impala ss i am going through with having to get the transmission rebuilt due to it slipping and not going into 3 or OD , im loosing my 22 inch dubs to get the transmission rebuilt , this is the second time this has happened to me first time was with my 95 caprice 9c1 and now my beloved impala , what is a good way to keep this problem from happening, again im thinking bout putting a set of 20 inch iroc's on it and lowering it just bout an inch to maybe an inch and a half ?? what do you guys think ? please keep in mind im putting this up for some real advice , and not to get [email protected]$$ comments thrown at me , its my car i drive it and i will do what i want to it , dont knock me cause my taste is different from yours

·
Registered
197 Posts
on my newly aquired 94 impala ss i am going through with having to get the transmission rebuilt due to it slipping and not going into 3 or OD , im loosing my 22 inch dubs to get the transmission rebuilt , this is the second time this has happened to me first time was with my 95 caprice 9c1 and now my beloved impala , what is a good way to keep this problem from happening, again im thinking bout putting a set of 20 inch iroc's on it and lowering it just bout an inch to maybe an inch and a half ?? what do you guys think ? please keep in mind im putting this up for some real advice , and not to get [email protected]$$ comments thrown at me , its my car i drive it and i will do what i want to it , dont knock me cause my taste is different from yours

your problem is youre rebuilder. contact someone like shane at CPT, or Dana at Probuilt. Stop wasting money on local rebuilds that are obvious a waste of dough.

·
Registered
574 Posts

Well did the trannys go because they have a lot of miles on them? Maybe they went out due to normal wear and tear. Interested to get more info from you on it. IMO, I think you going to 20's is a good idea. I have read 22's are tougher on transmissions, but I don't have any proof or facts on that. I think 20's have the perfect look on our cars.

Read this link:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
your problem is youre rebuilder. contact someone like shane at CPT, or Dana at Probuilt. Stop wasting money on local rebuilds that are obvious a waste of dough.
these are 2 different cars the impala is the only one i am going through with rebuilding it cause i love this car

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well did the trannys go because they have a lot of miles on them? Maybe they went out due to normal wear and tear. Interested to get more info from you on it. IMO, I think you going to 20's is a good idea. I have read 22's are tougher on transmissions, but I don't have any proof or facts on that. I think 20's have the perfect look on our cars.

Read this link:
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?p=2028913#post2028913
both cars did have alot of miles on them (above 180k or so) and i know that more than likely played in a factor of this happening but my friend has over 300k on his 91 caprice and hasnt had a single issue with his tranny , he changes his fluid every 3-5 months (its his DD 95 miles one way ,each day for work) so im wondering if i am going to have to follow his PM care to keep my impala running strong

·
Registered
47 Posts
IMHO when you're looking at the service recommendations for your car 90% of drivers fall into the "severe service" category. very few people are "normal service" drivers. this means you should have the trans fluid changed every 50K miles at a minimum - sooner if you feel a difference in shifting. Not sure what the recommended fluid is for your car but it's probably some flavor of Dexron; if there's a synthetic fluid available that will keep it from burning under hard use. I'm a big believer in changing the fluids in EVERYTHING periodically - not just oil and coolant but brake fluid, trans fluid, rear end gear oil, power steering fluid, etc. etc. etc. every couple years.

After your rebuild, you may want to change the filter and clean out the pan after 10K or so. also add a drain plug in your pan while you're at it to make future service less painful. Might be overkill, but who knows...

Also make sure if you are R&Ring the trans yourself to flush out the cooler and cooler lines. If you're having a shop do it mention this to them. if there's some swarf in there from the old trans it'll go right into the filter of your new trans, don't want that.

as for flushing being a trans killer, I had the E4OD in my F*rd pickup flushed right after I bought it with about 130K miles, seems to be OK so far. I figure it was a little bit of a roll of the dice but if it kills it it needed to be rebuilt anyway, and if it doesn't now I can maintain it correctly from here on out. I did insist that they drop the pan and change the filter too; that's key. If you have it flushed but don't have the filter changed and pan cleaned, you're only doing half the job...

good luck...

·
Registered
396 Posts
for sure make sure thet do a cooler flush , if your trans takes a dump and gets chunks , particles,or anything else from the trans i will go into the cooler ,then when you get the new trans those particals or whatever just go right back in mess up the new one

1 - 8 of 8 Posts