Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 Chevy Impala with a 400ci chevy small block and a 2 speed powerglide transmission. I was wondering if it is possible to swap out my powerglide for a 700r4 transmission from a 1993 g20 chevy conversion van. If it can be done, what do i need? Would it be easier if i use the chevy 350ci small block that is in the van also or does it not make a difference?

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you get rid of that 400 small block or power glide let me know. I've got a 73 that I bought a 700r4 for and it's looking like custom cross member and maybe driveshaft for mine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i would love to get rid of the powerglide and the 400 but i have nothing to put in there. I wanted to take the 350 and 700r4 out of my moms conversion van and drop that in there. Thats why i want to know if it can be done. If it can, i might be able to part with the combo alot faster. I just have to fix a head gasket on the 350 and she should be good to go. I know i can drop the 350 in but i just wanted to know how hard it would be to drop in the 700r4 as well

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dont the vans have a different oil pan/pump/pickup? Im sure it could be converted...

anyway, the engine will go in there, you may need to move some motor mounts, but it'll work. and the trans will work, you just may need to get a driveshaft and a chrossmember.

whats so bad about the powerglide?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well its not the the powerglide is bad, its that i could get better gas mileage with the 700r4. I would get like 18/19 mpg vs the 12 i am getting now. I might swap in the 700r4 and build up the powerglide for when i have enough money to get an extra car.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Shift indicator? You are adding 2 extra gears to the mix, you'll want to correct for that. Make sure you use all the linkage to the carb, the 700 uses a TV cable rather than a vacuum modulator for shifts. You'll also want to make sure you have the right speedo gear for your application.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts