Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
New to this forum,but am familiar with other forums.
My wifes car(02 Impala LS loaded) is about to turn over 100,000 miles.
Ive changed the oil every 3000 miles without fail,and am the one and only owner. I personally did a tranny service at around 80,000 miles. I only changed the fluid in the pan,and filter...anyway,there are no leaks,and the fluid is indeed pink...now to the issue... every once and awhile Ive noticed it shifting through the gears "hard"...Normally its a smooth transtion from 1st,to 2nd,3rd.O/D etc.
This has happened twice now,and i can just about garuntee that in the morning when we leave for work all will be normal....looking for ideas please! One last note..there have been no codes displayed......

02 Impala LS 3.8,auto

·
Registered
557 Posts
When you say no codes displayed, does that mean no check engine light? Or does that mean you've had it scanned and no codes came up?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Good question...there have been no "messages" displayed in the info center.I do have an OBDII code reader.Havent checked it with that yet.
Since we have never had any engine/tranny issues,guess I figured something would "pop-up" if there was a problem...would the OBDII scanner show anything?,or is this something that has to be done with the Tech II scantool?

Thanks!

In thinking about it,The shift points have always remained the same...Im wondering if this could possibly be a CV joint/shaft issue starting to show up?

·
Registered
9 Posts
greyghost

Hello all,
New to this forum,but am familiar with other forums.
My wifes car(02 Impala LS loaded) is about to turn over 100,000 miles.
Ive changed the oil every 3000 miles without fail,and am the one and only owner. I personally did a tranny service at around 80,000 miles. I only changed the fluid in the pan,and filter...anyway,there are no leaks,and the fluid is indeed pink...now to the issue... every once and awhile Ive noticed it shifting through the gears "hard"...Normally its a smooth transtion from 1st,to 2nd,3rd.O/D etc.
This has happened twice now,and i can just about garuntee that in the morning when we leave for work all will be normal....looking for ideas please! One last note..there have been no codes displayed......

02 Impala LS 3.8,auto
I have a 2000 Impalla LS w/3.8 eng. I took it to the repair shop for a hard shift problem. The code came back..Rebuild it. The computer has max out on adjustments. The transmission works good cold, but after heating up, the hard shifting starts. Transmission guy says this happens around 100,000 miles. It's a good car, I guess I will have to foot the bill for repairs. I just wish I had a rear wheel drive.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think you were just lied to. Common problems on these cars are pressure control solenoids. First step though is to check your motor mounts and make sure they're not cracked or anything. They could make it seem like a hard shift.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think you were just lied to. Common problems on these cars are pressure control solenoids. First step though is to check your motor mounts and make sure they're not cracked or anything. They could make it seem like a hard shift.
hmmmm...this is good info...I too am experiencing hard shifts on my '00 LS (143k miles).

on a side note, i just got done replacing the intake manifold as the it was cracked and was letting water in...thankfully the crappy plastic heater hose elbow tubes deteriorated enough to leak pretty bad for me to see...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same Problem

I'm having the same types of problems with my tranny. Its gone 148,000 miles. I changed the fluids recently and it helped a little bit but not much. I also found a brass super thin washer in the pan when I emptied it, so something broke but don't know what. It shifts hard from first to second and then is OK the rest of the way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts