Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed, but I am planning to put a trailer hitch on my 2012 LTZ for the purpose of carrying two bicycles. No freeway carrying, farthest point will be about five miles away.

It seems that the 1.25 class 2 hitch is fine for my needs. I am looking at the Curt 12252 from Amazon. Any reason I should consider a 2"" hitch?

Also planning to use the Curt two bike rack 18029.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
Only if you are going to carry/tow more weight.
If it's just bikes and will ONLY be bikes (2 or even 3 or 4) the 1 1/4 one will do just fine.

IMO

·
Registered
848 Posts
I know this has been discussed, but I am planning to put a trailer hitch on my 2012 LTZ for the purpose of carrying two bicycles. No freeway carrying, farthest point will be about five miles away.

It seems that the 1.25 class 2 hitch is fine for my needs. I am looking at the Curt 12252 from Amazon. Any reason I should consider a 2"" hitch?

Also planning to use the Curt two bike rack 18029.

Thanks.
If you don't already have the Curt bike rack, here is another alternative that does not require a hitch receiver on your car :)

LINK: http://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-i...e-rack-for-7th-gen-2005-impala-w-spoiler.html

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. Looks like the 1.25 hitch will work out fine, I'm thinking about having UHaul install one for me.

As for that on vehicle suction option, thanks, but not for me.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
I have a 1.25 on our Cadillac and it works just fine. You definitely don't need anything more heavy duty. I carry up to 3 bikes at a time and it can easily handle more weight. Just make sure you buy a decent carrier.

·
Drinks Gasoline
237 Posts
Class 1 trailer hitches are specified to handle up to 200lb tongue weight. Class 2 trailer hitches are specified to handle up to 350lb tongue weight. You should basically be able to carry a dirt bike on a platform behind the car with a Class 2 hitch. A couple of bicycles shouldn't even be noticeable.

I took two bikes with a trailer-hitch-mount bicycle carrier to San Diego a few years ago with my four-banger '97 Stratus, the only issue was that the hotel driveway was so steep that the bottom of one side of the carrier scraped the ground a tad as we entered the driveway.

I like the carriers that hold the wheels from the bottom rather than supporting the bikes at the top tube. The wheels and pedals won't move or hit the vehicle, and it's easier to lock the bikes down with a cable or chain when the vehicle is unattended.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Agree, but I have the kind that holds the bike by the bike frame. I use bungee cords to prevent the wheels and pedals from turning. Consider investing in a locking pin as well so you don't need to remove the carrier when you leave the car unattended.

·
Drinks Gasoline
237 Posts
My carrier uses a threaded bolt, so while it doesn't require a key to pull, it does require tools.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Mine had a bolt too, and I replaced it with a locking pin. Much faster and no tools needed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I found a place nearby that installs lots of hitches. I'm planning to go with a Draw Tite 1.25 hitch and a Swagman XC bike rack. I believe this rack has a threaded hitch bolt and I will need a ratchet to attach or remove it from the hitch.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
I believe this rack has a threaded hitch bolt and I will need a ratchet to attach or remove it from the hitch.
I think most of them do. I personally found it to be a PITA. Well, not necessarily a PITA, but a waste of time.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Doesn't the bolt keep the rack tighter with less movement than a pin?
Aguably, but not enough to matter for me. I I have been using mine with the pin for about 6 years.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
People pull full size camping trailers with a pin, I can't imagine why a bolt would be necessary for a couple bikes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do I need to drill out the opening to use a pin? I'm thinking that any pin for a class ii hitch will work, locking or not.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
I did not have to any drilling at all.

·
Drinks Gasoline
237 Posts
I used the bolt because I did not want the bike carrier swaying too much.

Academy - Bell Right Up 2-Bicycle Rack

That's the one that I have.

The carriers aren't made out of all that stout of stuff if they're inexpensive. That single point is the only place holding the carrier. It's not like a trailer that uses at least three total points to remain stable in the form of the tongue and the two back wheels, that single 1.25" or 2" square is it. I wanted to minimize rocking to reduce wear on the carrier's draw bar, and to reduce the amount of oscillating sway that bikes could cause through the airflow off of the vehicle.

If I were buying a new one, I'd try using the bolt first. If it's too much of a problem then consider switching to the pin, but my guess is that the bolt will work fine.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Nobody is saying the bolt won't work, just that it's a pain in the ass. Yes a trailer keeps wheels on the ground as well, but they also tend to have a tongue weight of at least 200lbs, and a load weight of 4000+lbs, so bicycles shouldn't be a big concern.

Reactions: TSS

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, thanks so much to everyone for your input. I will try out the bolt first, see how it goes and let you know down the road.

TWX

Are you using the rack you linked? It appears that the wheels sit in the rack, is that the case? As I mentioned I am considering the Swagman XC rack. I should mention that I will be carrying one mens and one ladies trek aluminum bikes. If you think the rack you linked is the better choice, I'd be glad to know why. BTW I definitely want a rack where the wheels set in the rack. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts