Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an issue with my 2001 Chevrolet Impala LS

Originally the traction control & ABS light would come on and I could hear & feel grinding at the front right. I checked the code and after inspecting, replaced the hub assembly. Now when I back up every so often I get a service traction control warning, (Code "Erratic Signal").:frown:

Any Ideas where to start looking?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am having an issue with my 2001 Chevrolet Impala LS

Originally the traction control & ABS light would come on and I could hear & feel grinding at the front right. I checked the code and after inspecting, replaced the hub assembly. Now when I back up every so often I get a service traction control warning, (Code "Erratic Signal").:frown:

Any Ideas where to start looking?
OK,

I did some additional research on this subject and for the benefit of others I thought I would post my results.

1) I checked the code with a scanner and it said RF traction control sender, open or short.

2) I checked on-line and found the proper ABS Sensor Resistance

For most common types of ABS sensors, the sensor circuit
resistance is between 700-3000 ohms. Resistance can be
measured at the sensor connection when it is removed from
the ECU, or right at the sensor when the extension cable is
removed. Follow the manufacturer’s specifications to
determine the correct sensor resistance.

3) At first I read 780 Ohms so I bypassed the electrical connector assuming wiring and a continuity issue.

4) I checked the sensor again and it was open circuit, infinite resistance so it looks like a bad replacement hub from the supplier and a possible intermittent loose internal connection. :confused:

Back in the shop for warranty replacement. I'll post the final solution.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update

Found a thread on the subject. There is a service bulletin on the wiring harness.
I checked everything mentioned and all indications are it's the BCM.... either that or the main harness is damaged. I just hate to buy one and thats not the problem.

No replies eh!...I quess I'm the only one here with this issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Feel your pain!!!

Brother I feel your pain. I now have 2 vehicles an 02 Rondezvous and a 01 Monte SS that both are throwing up lights for ABS and Serv Trac. Dealers all tell me they think I'm nuts because the computer is not holding any codes and others tell me I just need to live with it. Not to mention with the rising prices of all shit to do with cars are keeping me from getting anything fixed. If I figure it out though I will post it I hope you will do the same cause I know of plenty of people right now that are just living with it!!:confused:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
wish i couldve seen this sooner, but its you wheel hub (grinding) and your ve. wheel speed sensor, they are a one piece unit that run $100-400 (depending on source) and are fairly easy to replace - 1 33 (or 34)mm and 3 15mm bolts IIRC

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check your wiring from the sensor. Pull the wire out of the plastic insulation and inspect. My 02 had a broken wire on the passenger side. That side takes more abuse curbs etc. The insulation on the wire was cracked and the conductors were severed. This caused intermittant problem. When you back up and hit the brakes the suspension gives and the wire seperates at the break. The wire insulation on both sides of mine are cracked but only severed on passenger side. Hope this helps. YMMV

1 - 6 of 6 Posts