Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a service traction light, Is it a wheel speed sensor wire or something else. Can anyone help, Thanks 2004 Impala LS
i had the same problem 2 weeks ago so i check the wiring in all tires and i found 1 cut wire so i fixed miself and the traction light go off

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Traction control light

I went through this problem with my 2001 Impala LS at around 100K miles. Replace the hub bearings with integrated sensors because fault codes indicated this to be the problem, and there was a humming sound from the front (later learned that Potenza G009 tires at wear limit are LOUD, and sound like shot bearings!). Light started coming back after replacing the bearings. Blogs I checked pointing to wiring harness being the issue so wiring harness to each wheel was replaced, and BINGO - problem gone. Probably never needed the wheel bearings - was the wires all along. I would start with the wires as this seems to be a recurring problem found on the blogs, such as automotiveforums.com (Impala section of site). Don't listen to dealer tell you the entire front wiring needs to be replaced (around $1000!). There is a harness kit for about 100 bucks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2000 3.8, i have similar problem but it happens when applying brake(abs warning light,brake light, service traction control, seatbelt light and directionals vibrate or buzz, but no loss of power i absolutely have no idea what it is, tryed resetting with ignition(turn key to acc for 5 sec then on for 10 sec), getting aggravated

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
2000 3.8, i have similar problem but it happens when applying brake(abs warning light,brake light, service traction control, seatbelt light and directionals vibrate or buzz, but no loss of power i absolutely have no idea what it is, tryed resetting with ignition(turn key to acc for 5 sec then on for 10 sec), getting aggravated
Do you have a check engine light? If so, you can take it to an auto parts store and ask them to read the CEL code. It will likely need a scanner capable of reading ABS codes, but those are pretty common.

My first thought is an intermittent broken wire from one of the wheel speed sensors. They cause virtually the same symptoms, and are common causes of these type symptoms. But the problem is usually triggered when turning or when going over a bump, both of which can flex the damaged wire just enough to cause the system to think it's detecting wheel lock (or wheel slip).

However, in your case, it's caused by applying the brakes. So I'm thinking wheel speed sensor, which means wheel bearings - the sensor is an integral part of the bearing/wheel hub.

The hubs are in the 70-200 dollar range. Shops will charge around 300 bucks parts/labor. It can be a DIY project, but (for the fronts) the axle needs to be slipped out of the bearing, and that can require a puller (ie, special tools). Replacement bolts are specified in the shop manual.

The wheel bearing can be diagnosed by jacking up the car and turning the wheel. Listen for any grinding or rubbing noises. Then rock the wheel side to side, and top to bottom, feeling for play. Any grinding, or significant play in both directions, indicates a bad bearing.

HTH.

Doug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts