Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to my morning class today the wheels spun a little on the snow and instead of my traction control kicking in i got 'service traction system' on the message center. I'm just wondering what i should look at to correct this problem. some things i think might be causing this : needs new tires, negative 6 for the hight today (south dakota is awesome like that), i've been using the traction control a lot lately due to the bald tires.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
You pretty much answered your own question....traction control will be useless with bald tires, sending mixed signals to the system telling it its not working. Why would you run bald tires in a place where its -6 anyway? deathwish or financial issues?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just bought the car from my parents and they said since they gave it to me with bald tires on it that they will replace them for me after christmas. so i just have to hold out till then. There isn't much snow on the streets, its only a little slick on corners where people stop and go.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Just be careful and drive slower than usual, try not to use the highway if they are that bald/showing steel cords. Happy Holidays

·
Registered
111 Posts
A common problem is the wiring harness to the wheel speed sensor breaks and the wires become disconnected. My 02 Impala has broken wires on the drivers side and the ABS / traction control dings and disables it self as soon as the car is started.

A quick look under the car at your wheels and you might see the if that is the case or not.

I actually dislike the traction control (it can be turned off via button at least) and more so the ABS - especially on ice its just a disconcerting feeling of having no control which makes you stand on the break pedal even more with little feedback on if you're going to stop or just keep sliding down the road - much prefer feeling/hearing a wheel lock up and lift off the break and reapply pressure until I feel it lock up again - you can soon gauge if you can stop or not and if you need to take evasive action or abort the stop all together and keep going if its safe to do so. For accelerating, if it starts spinning a wheel I just lift off until it grips again, on dry road sometimes its fun to sequel a wheel and burn some rubber, so I've not bothered fixing it :D

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ There is a manufacture defect on the front abs harness's and that's usually where the problem lies. For $60 or so you can pick up two front harness pigtails and splice them into the main harness. The problem lies at the tie-downs where the wires get pinched and tend to break over-time.

You do mention turning the trac control off does help bypassing the issue however: The traction control and abs are a joined system. The only thing that turning the traction control OFF does: Is prolong the abs from kicking in.

On a really slippery road: Turn the trac control off and punch the throttle. It will spin for a little bit longer than keep the trac control on but, the abs WILL eventually kick in and prevent said traction loss. If your tires do continue to spin out of control of the abs: Chances are your abs pump is dying, have not maintained your brakes/calipers, or you have dirty brake fluid.

I have a brand new abs module, new fluid, rebuilt calipers, and ceramic pads all the way around.

Unfort there is NO way to bypass ABS/Trac control that I know of. On some older vehicles you can simply pull the abs fuse but, on the 7th gen imps the abs circuit is tied in with the PCM circuit. Therefor pulling the circuit will kill the vehicle.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You do mention turning the trac control off does help bypassing the issue however: The traction control and abs are a joined system. The only thing that turning the traction control OFF does: Is prolong the abs from kicking in.
Sorry I was referring to the trac off button that only turns off the traction control temporarily. The ABS of course is still active normally :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones- my 2003 doesn't have abs or traction control. I have driven cars with both and strongly dislike them. I have personally never owned a car with abs *or* traction control, but that will probably have to change eventually... getting harder to find cars without.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones- my 2003 doesn't have abs or traction control. I have driven cars with both and strongly dislike them. I have personally never owned a car with abs *or* traction control, but that will probably have to change eventually... getting harder to find cars without.
ABS and Traction control is an option on lower end base models :clap:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts