Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be old news to many of you, but the Traction Control Off button on the console certainly improves response and performance. It stops the "no-fun nannies".

My 2016 LTZ 3.6 felt like the computer programming was fighting to always insure top fuel economy. In other words, sluggish throttle response and upshifting to high gears at low speeds. It also felt like the TC retarded the throttle mapping to completely eliminate any possible chance of wheelspin. I wondered how a car with 300+ horsepower and moderate weight could feel relatively sluggish.

I watched a video where the driver made a note about making sure to cut off the traction control for performance. So I tried it.

What I discovered was that the throttle response is much quicker. Additionally the overbearing "throttle back to stop wheelspin" is gone. The transmission also shifts crisper, and holds longer in gear. Downshifts are much much better. It now feels like a 300 hp front drive sedan.

I was considering a tune to eliminate the "no-fun nannies", but I am fairly satisfied with simply pushing that factory TC button. Give it a try folks.

Of course, I leave the TC working when it is raining, etc.

I also noted that the tunes makes more power, but need Premium gas to make the additional 15-20 HP. So that is basically a 5 percent hp boost. With mid grade gas or regular, it would be less. The feel is probably much greater than the actual hp increase due to the tunes new mapping.

I am not sure if the TC button off will do as much for the 4 cylinder. The TC may not be as aggressive due to less horsepower to control.

I hope this helps some folks. Best wishes, Marc

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes you are right, I turned off the TC in my 2018 LT with the V6 and it feels like a different car. Faster acceleration, better shifting, better fuel mileage too. No tune needed here :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Of course, I leave the TC working when it is raining, etc.
it seems counter-intuitive, but traction control should be off when it rains and when it snows or there is a possibility of roads/bridges icing. With it off, the wheels spin at the same rate, so the wheels won`t slip.

Traction-control is good for interstate road ramps particularly. it helps tire wear and does improve traction because the wheels need to spin at different speeds.

--

So, how many people here put their AC on in the winter time or when it's raining? It's another counter-intuative thing.

Thermodynamics says it takes less energy to heat dry air. There is this this thing called "dew point". It basically predicts when water will condense on a surface knowing the surface temperature and the temperature and relative humidity of the air.

When your AC is on with your heater you DEFOG. When the AC is off with the heater, you DEFROST.

So, when it's chilling rain, turn the AC and heater on at the same time. You'll feel much warmer.

Then the other one, when your wipers are on your lights should be on. That's a safety thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts