Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already been reading up on this issue, and it sounds like I have a wheel hub assembly going bad... Is there a way to tell which one? It's obviously the front, so should both sides just get replaced or what? Any advise would be appreciated...

·
Registered
657 Posts
jack it up and grab the wheel from the top and bottom (12 oclock and 6 oclock) and see if you can wobble it up and down. if so, that hub is bad.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like an easy of enought of a test... thanks! I will check it out that way. Is there any harm in driving on it while it is bad? Other than the obvious uneven tire wear... Like, will the damn wheel fall off while i'm driving down the road or anything? :eek:

·
Registered
657 Posts
probably not, but i would still get it fixed asap, if it is indeed bad. you can do it yourself, just have to have a big enough socket. i cant recall what size the nut is, but its a doosie.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
32-34mm I dont know if it depends on year or what, but thats what ive seen ppl using, IIRC i used a 33mm and it was a little loose.

you CAN seize the hub which = BAD but you'll hear it grind, get worse, then a loud snap ;) - THEN MORE GRINDING and feels like youre driving with a flat... Not that i would know ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine is a 2001. Already had the front left one done 2 years, and about 35,000 miles back... So I will see. Thanks for the input and I will keep you posted when I get the chance to inspect it in the next day or two...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hub has been changed. FYI... the drive shaft nut was a 35mm and the hub bolts are 15mm on my 2001 Impala. Took MUCH longer to get it taken apart than it did to put it back together. It was a very simple job, providing you have the right tools. Another FYI, my local autozone had a torque wrench and the large drive shaft sockets that I borrowed. They charged a deposit, but at least I didn't have to buy the socket. Thanks guys for all your help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have already been reading up on this issue, and it sounds like I have a wheel hub assembly going bad... Is there a way to tell which one? It's obviously the front, so should both sides just get replaced or what? Any advise would be appreciated...
first of all check the conection cables in both front tires maybe one or both are broke if you put them back togheter the traction light will go of!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts