Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I just bought an 08 impala, 217k miles on it currently. Everything seems great but unfortunately I drove thru about a foot of water and now i have the blinking engine/traction control light only when taking off from a stop. It jerks a bit like the trans is slipping but i didnt have this problem before driving thru the water so i hope its not the trans. Once im up to cruising speed it floats down the road no issues. I really hope someone tells me i fried the wiring for the traction control. Thanks for any info and answers.

·
Registered
598 Posts
It happened to me before. Not in my Impala, but in my old car (Civic) one winter I drove it into a ditch or pothole or something in the middle of the road that was about wheel height. It wasn't dry snow either, it was that wet slush. Naturally I got stuck, so after much pushing, pulling, screaming, cussing and flinging slush everywhere, I finally got out. My ABS light came on and the car felt like it had a slipping transmission, probably the ABS unit cutting power to the wheels. Turned out I had soaked my ABS sensor, and after a day or two when it had dried off, everything went back to normal.

Now, I'm obviously not saying this is definitely what is happening to you, but I definitely agree with @sheila and I think you just got your sensor and / or their associated wiring wet. How long ago was this? If it's been a few days (of sun) and you think the sensor should have dried out by now and the issue is still on going, then maybe try to pull an ABS code? Do note, you'll need an ABS code reader to pull an ABS code. Most common, cheaper OBDII code readers can't pull ABS codes.

Please do update us! Hope this helps some!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This happened maybe 3 weeks ago and i'm still having the same issue. I will try to get it scanned at autozone and update. Weather in Mich has been cold and somewhat dry, i think if it had to dry out to fix the issues it would have happened by now. Thanks for the replies!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
You might want to look in the air filter box to see if it is wet in there. If it is, some moisture could have passed through the filter and ruined the mass air flow sensor (MAF). This has happened to us before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts