Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang-

Got a 2004 Chevy Impala. 3.4L. Got a problem with the traction control. If I turn the steering wheel to make a left or right turn, the traction control service light goes on. When it goes on, the ABS light also comes on which tells me they're somewhat connected.
If at highway speed it is a gradual turn, it is fine.
Checked all fluids, everything looks fine. How would I start to diagnose this problem without taking it in. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so no job is too horrible for me.
The only issue I currently have with the car is a small leak on the radiator and the rotors are warped so when i brake, I get that oh so fun vibration through the steering wheel and throughout the car.
Any thoughts???

Luca$:beer:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Any growling from the front wheels? Lift the front of the car, grab the wheels one at a time, one hand top and one bottom, and try to rock it, if there is any play you need to replace your hubs. If there is no play, it is probably in the wiring pigtails. Some folks will tell you to inspect the wiring, but it is unlikely you will be able to see the problem. The dealer has replacement pigtails, there are multiple threads on this issue already, do a search and you should find instructions and part numbers.

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
OMG, can I be in the gang? I have the most posts, so I get to lead it.

+1

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
No, we don't take people with gaudy decals in their back window.

·
Registered
195 Posts
i had this problem. it all went away when i changed my brakes. perhaps your brake pads are goin low and thus triggering the sensors during turns. (thats what i figured since i started out with the same problem until eventually the lights stayed on.)

my 2¢

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
That's why you're not in the gang either.

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
This gang sucks.......At least I started my own gang and some new guy's already got beef with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brakes are still good. Using ceramic brakes. No play in the hubs. No corrosion on the pigtails either. Tried to scan for codes while the service traction control/abs light was on at O-reilly. No codes found. Any other recommendations?

Lucas

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
It's probably the pigtails anyway, I had the same thing on an 02 LS

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pigtails look OK. Do you still recommend that I change the complete hub out perhaps? Also, if the traction control light comes on, is there a way to scan to see which wheel needs it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One more quick question. You said to replace the pigtails. Do you mean the pigtails going to the wheel sensor, or the pigtails going to the control module for the traction control? I am assuming the pigtail where the connection is for the speed sensor is located going into the hub.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Yes, the ones for the hubs. When I went through this, I couldn't see anything wrong with the wiring or the connections, but the problem went away when I replaced them. I read too many accounts of people fighting with dealers over this issue and constantly replacing hubs, the problem would go away for a month or so and then come back. I decided to skip all that crap and fix the right part instead.

·
Registered
119 Posts
a good thing to do is to take it to a dealership and have them scan codes with a tech ll. the generic scan tool can't communicate with the bcm, which is where this code is stored. the dealership tool is meant to go much much deeper. i pulled codes like crazy when i hooked up one at school (thank god they had one). trans codes, wheel sensor data, live tcc data, it was beautiful.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Yes, the ones for the hubs. When I went through this, I couldn't see anything wrong with the wiring or the connections, but the problem went away when I replaced them. I read too many accounts of people fighting with dealers over this issue and constantly replacing hubs, the problem would go away for a month or so and then come back. I decided to skip all that crap and fix the right part instead.
I recently have been fighting this on my son's 2002 Impala. We put new hubs on and it went away for a couple months. Then it came back.

I pulled the right pig tail out and inspected - no sign of a break anywhere. Usually, when the wire is broken inside the insulation, there'll be a weak, flimsy spot - none was found.

I ended up extracting and re-inserting the sensor connectors on the front hubs a few times in hopes of cleaning the contacts. Neither pig tail was replaced (yet). I cleared the ABS codes and, for the past two weeks, no ABS lights have come on and no weird noises have emanated from the front end.

I was initially convinced it was the right side pig tail (which apparently has historically been a problem) but now I'm thinking crappy metallurgy in the sensor connectors instead. It's a known problem with the BCM connectors, so I'm wondering about the other connectors as well.

Doug

1 - 20 of 35 Posts