Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a week or so ago the TPMS Service Light came on in my wife's 2007 Impala. Haven't looked into this much yet, but from the little I've seen, my understanding is these stupid TPMS systems run off a battery installed in the wheel, is that right? I'm sure the battery on the 2007 (bought it used) has never been changed, so I imagine that's the issue. If so, sounds like this is something that a shop has to fix, correct? Frankly, I wish the car didn't have the stupid TPMS system, I can monitor my own tire pressure just fine, thanks.

Questions

Any way to just disable the TPMS system permanently without bringing it to a shop to fix?

I imagine it's fine to keep driving the car awhile with this stupid notification on, right? I'm preparing for the Boston Marathon in 4 weeks, and trying to rehabilitate an injured leg, so there's not a whole lot of car maintenance I can do myself between now and then.

Whatever is the quickest, easiest, and cheapest way to either disable this system or fix it so that the light turns off, that's what I'm looking for. Thanks all.

:icon_jook:

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Have you checked your tire pressure?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Had this happen on my 2007 also. The car was getting new tires and the shop first tried deflating the tire down to 10 pounds and then filling it back to 32. They said sometimes that will fix the problem. It worked for about 2 miles and then failed again so it was replaced. Added $65 to the bill at National Tire and Battery.
A TPMS system was not required in 2007 but I think all cars MUST have them now since the government doesn't trust anyone to use a stupid tire gauge!
I did a google on disabling TPMS chevrolet and a lot popped up. You may find your answer that way if you just want to get rid of the light.

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
383 Posts
Have you been thru a cold snap recently?

When it's below 0 here, mine sometimes warn about lower pressure. Then when I drive enough to warm the tires (highway speeds), it goes away. Mine's an '08 LTZ.

Obviously, after 6 model years, your car could be having parts issues.

Faron

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
If its an 07, the batteries probably are just going out. Discount tire/Americas Tire has sensors for $45, way cheaper than the dealer, and a lot of other tire shops. I would just live with the light though personally, unless there is a way to disable it, which I would love to hear if there is.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Orioles, I just wanted to jump in this thread to let you know I'm available if you decide to visit your dealer for service at any point and would like further assistance. Please send me a direct message anytime, and I can look into the matter further with you!

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
2 Posts
So a week or so ago the TPMS Service Light came on in my wife's 2007 Impala. Haven't looked into this much yet, but from the little I've seen, my understanding is these stupid TPMS systems run off a battery installed in the wheel, is that right? I'm sure the battery on the 2007 (bought it used) has never been changed, so I imagine that's the issue. If so, sounds like this is something that a shop has to fix, correct? Frankly, I wish the car didn't have the stupid TPMS system, I can monitor my own tire pressure just fine, thanks.

Questions

Any way to just disable the TPMS system permanently without bringing it to a shop to fix?

I imagine it's fine to keep driving the car awhile with this stupid notification on, right? I'm preparing for the Boston Marathon in 4 weeks, and trying to rehabilitate an injured leg, so there's not a whole lot of car maintenance I can do myself between now and then.

Whatever is the quickest, easiest, and cheapest way to either disable this system or fix it so that the light turns off, that's what I'm looking for. Thanks all.

:icon_jook:
I bought 4 sensors on ebay. I took one tire off at a time. I placed a board on the tire by the valve stem. I drove a car on the board and broke the bead.
There is enough room to change the sensor now. I removed the valve stem with a remover tool a pliers.
Then I put the new sensor on a new valve stem. Soap up the stem and you pull the stem in the rim with sensor and you are done. Now try to blow up the tire with air, if a problem use a strap around the tire. No need to re-balance tires.

Once you change all four then follow the procedure to have the car learn the new sensors. This was done because most garages wanted 30 dollars a wheel to install the sensors no including balance. Yes it was work but I figured I could pay myself for doing this. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts