Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I have been reading threads here for a while, but I'm a first time poster, just registered actually.

My question is: I purchased a new TPMS sensor online and installed it at my local Discount Tire (got my tires there). They synced it using the TPMS handheld device (I noticed that the new sensor took a while to sync, other 3 synced fine; I like to be next to my car when people work on it). Drove off with the check tire pressure light on and message saying to check tire pressure on ALL tires, got home and turned car off. Next time I turned it on, none of the sensors were linked. Re-linked them using regular air removal and got same thing as with handheld device at Tire store, the newly replaced sensor took a while but linked, other 3 sensors linked fast. Dash said to check tire pressure on ALL tires. Turned key to off position, then back to on, none of the sensors were linked. What's up with that? I have a 2006 Impala LT 3.9

Additional comments: recently replaced the Remote Door Lock Receiver (RDLR) myself due to the short range of the key fob and the inability to link all sensors (specifically, the passenger rear sensor). Took it to the dealer to re-program the RDLR (only they could do it with their machine), now the passenger rear sensor linked but somehow the driver rear sensor stopped working. That's why I bought one online and took it to Discount Tire (I don't have the tools to take tires off my rims; otherwise I would do it). Started doing all this because I got annoyed at the "Service Tire Monitor System" message that kept coming on the dashboard every time I turned the car on and the fact that I had to be right next to the car for the key fob to work. Now my key fob works great (I'm happy about that), but the TPMS system is still giving me trouble (as you can tell from my post)

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
I be thinking that the batteries in your sensors are dead or dying. They are now at least 7 years old depending on when they were built.
The new one I think takes a while to link because the receiver is spending its time trying to talk to the weak signals from the other three.

IMO that is

Paul

Edit
You did run the antenna up the inside A pillar for the new RDLR correct ?

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Hello everyone, I have been reading threads here for a while, but I'm a first time poster, just registered actually.

My question is: I purchased a new TPMS sensor online and installed it at my local Discount Tire (got my tires there). They synced it using the TPMS handheld device (I noticed that the new sensor took a while to sync, other 3 synced fine; I like to be next to my car when people work on it). Drove off with the check tire pressure light on and message saying to check tire pressure on ALL tires, got home and turned car off. Next time I turned it on, none of the sensors were linked. Re-linked them using regular air removal and got same thing as with handheld device at Tire store, the newly replaced sensor took a while but linked, other 3 sensors linked fast. Dash said to check tire pressure on ALL tires. Turned key to off position, then back to on, none of the sensors were linked. What's up with that? I have a 2006 Impala LT 3.9

Additional comments: recently replaced the Remote Door Lock Receiver (RDLR) myself due to the short range of the key fob and the inability to link all sensors (specifically, the passenger rear sensor). Took it to the dealer to re-program the RDLR (only they could do it with their machine), now the passenger rear sensor linked but somehow the driver rear sensor stopped working. That's why I bought one online and took it to Discount Tire (I don't have the tools to take tires off my rims; otherwise I would do it). Started doing all this because I got annoyed at the "Service Tire Monitor System" message that kept coming on the dashboard every time I turned the car on and the fact that I had to be right next to the car for the key fob to work. Now my key fob works great (I'm happy about that), but the TPMS system is still giving me trouble (as you can tell from my post)
ldestrada5,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. “retiredpauly” offers a possibility. Was the sensor you purchased online OEM?

Consider having the vehicle inspected by a certified technician for an official diagnosis and repair option(s).

Please keep us posted.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis (assisting Katie)
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
the tpms hand held tool is for the 2011 and up gm. 2010 and down set the tpms as pe the owners manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I'll provide further info and answer questions in order:

The new one I think takes a while to link because the receiver is spending its time trying to talk to the weak signals from the other three.
Was the sensor you purchased online OEM?
1. I don't think that the batteries are dying. Before I replaced the RDLR, both front and driver's back TPMS were always linked and working (even after I turned car off and back on); it was only the passenger rear that was not linked (and that was only because of the range issue, if I dismounted all 4 tires and set them right next to the driver's door they would all link, and fast).

2. The new TPMS is OEM, just got it online. And I don't think it takes long to link due to the RDLR trying to communicate with the other "low-battery" sensors. After I rotated the tires, the new one is now sitting on the driver's front tire and therefore is the first one that I link.

You did run the antenna up the inside A pillar for the new RDLR correct ?
3. When I replaced the RDLR, I only replaced the RDLR box (sitting in the driver's side on the top panel closeout; by the windshield), the antenna is the same one as before and I did connect it to the RDLR box. I might add that my key fobs work excellent, even at very long range, so I don't think the problem is the antenna or RDLR box.

the tpms hand held tool is for the 2011 and up gm. 2010 and down set the tpms as pe the owners manual.
4. I don't know how the handheld device works, but they used it at the Discount Tire to link the sensors and they all linked. I have also done the linking as per the owner's manual several times (by just taking the air out since I don't own a TPMS handheld device) and I still get the same result.

Consider having the vehicle inspected by a certified technician for an official diagnosis and repair option(s).
I will eventually take it to the dealer that re-programmed by RDLR but I'm out of town and wanted to know if there was something I could do to fix it. Also, I wanted to get some opinions about whether the new sensor is causing the problem (at least just the taking long to link part) so that I can contact the seller and inform them of the issue.

Hope this new info will offer some insight into my problem and thanks for all of the replies!

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
Got one and use it all the time on my 06

Works great and no issues

That being said, I have all new ( less than a year old ) TPMS's in both sets of wheels. ( Winter and Summer )

The sensors do have lithium Ion batteries and they usually just quit. I still betting on the batteries but I been wrong before

Paul

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Got one and use it all the time on my 06

Works great and no issues

That being said, I have all new ( less than a year old ) TPMS's in both sets of wheels. ( Winter and Summer )

The sensors do have lithium Ion batteries and they usually just quit. I still betting on the batteries but I been wrong before

Paul
https://gmspecialservicetools.spx.com/ToolDetails.aspx?id=5677
here's the one i have for the 2011 and up gms, but now i will have to see if it will work on the 10 and down cars. if it will it will save getting in to the relearn on the dash settings. Thanks Paul:eek:k3:

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
here is more information
TPM equipped vehicles manufactured before January 2011 can continue to use the

Special Service Tools (EL-46079 or EL-50448) or the manual procedure for TPM Re-

Learn.

Note:

the diagnostic functions that are currently included in the EL-46079 will be built in

to Scan Tool Diagnostics. The new EL-50448 does not contain the diagnostic features

that are included in the EL-46079.

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts