Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 3.4L with very high miles.

There's this problem that has occurred a few times lately: after driving car and stopping for 15 min (i.e.- getting gas) then restarting, it will sometimes take a few more cranks before catching, up to 5 seconds. It then runs 25 degrees hotter than normal, and has less power. I press the pedal but it doesn't respond as well. Sometimes I can pull over, turn it off, and restart it to solve the power problem; it felt more responsive, but it still ran hotter. The low oil pressure light came on a few times during these episodes; I turned the car off, let it cool overnight, and the light was gone and power was fine in the morning. So I changed the oil/filter and replaced the oil pressure sensor, being the cheapest and easiest first steps.

She's on her last legs, but I'd love to extend her life a few more months, anyone have thoughts?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have a 2001 3.4L with very high miles.

She's on her last legs, but I'd love to extend her life a few more months, anyone have thoughts?

How has the power been since changing the oil and filter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the oil/filter 20 days ago, did the oil pressure sensor 5 days ago.
This is the first time the tough-starting/less-power/running-hot has happened since,
I didn't see the oil pressure light this time.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Did the oil/filter 20 days ago, did the oil pressure sensor 5 days ago.
This is the first time the tough-starting/less-power/running-hot has happened since,
I didn't see the oil pressure light this time.

Could you see any metal particles in the oil?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Maybe bad spark plugs and wires?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts