Impala Forums banner

21 - 40 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've always preferred the classic screw drivers like this. Feels better in my hands. Anyone else?

As for socket drivers Both style have served me well. I prefer the round style, but the square works well.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I've always preferred the classic screw drivers like this. Feels better in my hands. Anyone else?
Had a set of snap on screwdrivers I bought in the late 80's that are my favorites. Unfortunately missing about half of them, all the phillips from the set minus a stubby are gone. Grips on those were a new at that time style.

Have had a couple sets of the same craftsmans as you have pictured over the years. Doubt I could put together a complete set now.

Reactions: plano-doug

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Had a set of snap on screwdrivers I bought in the late 80's that are my favorites. Unfortunately missing about half of them, all the phillips from the set minus a stubby are gone. Grips on those were a new at that time style.

Have had a couple sets of the same craftsmans as you have pictured over the years. Doubt I could put together a complete set now.
My dad had a set of the Craftsman like in GoBlowSnow's pic. I have a few pieces from it left.

I've considered buying a new set, but I think the ingredients are wrong on most sets - they include one of each size over a range which varies with the price and the size of the package.

If I was kitting them up, I'd include like five #2 Philips, one 1 and one 3, and similarly for the slotted sizes. The #2 's get 95% of the workload from me, so they're the ones that get beat up or go missing. Your comment illustrates that well - you have the Philips stubby left most likely because you rarely use it :)

Doug

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I personally prefer the "round-handled" ratchets - just more comfortable to use, IMO (compared to the "square'ish" type).
It's easier to slip a cheater pipe over the round one, too :)

(I think that's how my ⅜" Snap-On met its demise years ago :( )

Doug

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
you have the Philips stubby left most likely because you rarely use it
lol, likely right. Tried to lay my hands on what I have left of them and am short 4 or 5 of them. But yeah can see in the pic which are the least used. No telling over the past 30 years where they may have gotten to. The little pocket set has always been handy too. Handles to me have a much better easier to torque grip than any others I have owned.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
It's easier to slip a cheater pipe over the round one, too :)

(I think that's how my ⅜" Snap-On met its demise years ago :( )

Doug

Not necessarily, depends on the size pipe you are using, I keep one that fits over my breaker bar and it also fits over all the 1/2 inch drive ratchets I own. Have been guilty maybe a time or two :rolleyes: of using my long rectangular handled 1/2 drive craftsman with a piece of pipe. Afraid that is why it recently has quit holding direction. I will say this, the breaker bar with the pipe does give/flex, has had me concerned it was going to snap a number of times and had me re-choking up on the pipe, that 1/2 drive rectangular handled craftsman does not give or flex at all.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
There's a recurring meme here about 10mm sockets frequently going missing. I was checking out the tool aisle at Walmart recently, and I think I found the solution, 3-packs of 10mm sockets, in regular and deep :)

For the price they charge, it can't hurt to put couple packs in the tool box, just in case :)

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
There's a recurring meme here about 10mm sockets frequently going missing. I was checking out the tool aisle at Walmart recently, and I think I found the solution, 3-packs of 10mm sockets, in regular and deep :)

For the price they charge, it can't hurt to put couple packs in the tool box, just in case :)

Doug

Looks like the reason for the 3 pack is due to being inclusive of drive sizes.

Like you mention though, seems to be that some sizes are common to go missing. Found that a lot of my stuff I replaced was not really missing at all, so ended up with extras to keep in other boxes. :D

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Found that a lot of my stuff I replaced was not really missing at all, so ended up with extras to keep in other boxes. :D
No doubt, spread around in my garage are enough pieces to comprise the better part of a set of sockets :(

I'm sure I'll find most of them some day :)

Doug

·
Registered
29 Posts
My tools at home and work,a mixture of everything.I use what works well and am not a tool snob.My work tools are SK,Mac,Matco,Snap On,Craftsman,Williams,some Harbor Freight,IR.My impact sockets are mostly Grey Pnuematic and Sunex.I also have cordless tools which is the Milwaukee fuel line,the warranty sold me on this.I have one co worker that is a total tool snob,all Snap On and he believes Snap On makes everything.He is wrong,Snap On does not make everything which some of their tools are rebrands made by someone else.I even beat him lately,my Milwaukee M18 1/2 drive cordless impact took out more bolts than his Snap On 1/2 drive cordless impact.

·
Registered
35 Posts
All my Snap-On is at least 35 years old now, very few having been swapped out on warranty. I also have many other brands; Mac, Matco, Craftsman, as well as plenty of off brand/no name stuff. But, all the wrenches are Snap-On. Most of the chrome sockets are Snap-on as well. Now that some of the other brands' quality has come up exponentially I have no issue getting a Kobalt or Stanley socket or wrench if I need to. Most all of my weird branded impact sockets have held up well too; I just don't break stuff much!

Now that I've jinxed myself, I suppose a rail of Harbor Fright sockets are in my future.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Now that I've jinxed myself, I suppose a rail of Harbor Fright sockets are in my future.
lol. About the only issue I have with off brand or cheaper tools is those that end up causing busted knuckles or worse yet rounded off heads. Think hf gives a lifetime warranty on their hand tools, but sometimes the frustration caused by tools that do not hold up are not worth it.

That said, have a few 1/4 dr craftsman sockets that are broken/cracked. Wonder if lowes would exchange them?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Curious about some of the old sockets I have, I've done a little bit of research, mostly on the web. One site I found that was very helpful is Alloy Artifacts Tool History Page

My paradigm had been that socket sets and ratchets were always paired, but that's not the case. Some early sets came with non-ratcheting breaker bars while others used ¼" hex drivers - allen wrenches - as the companion tool. I don't own a complete kit, but I have several sockets with the ¼" hex drive openings in back. And, for all I know, one of the many allen wrenches in my stash was part of a kit with some of these sockets.

In the first pic, a few of the sockets are flipped to show the drive ends.

Three of the sockets, blown up in the second pic, are odd ducks in the collection. The top right one, with its grooved inner face, appears to be intended for grinding. One thought was that it was for extracting rounded hex heads, but the grooves look too fine to me - they don't appear to be deep enough to get a good bite for turning a stuck bolt. I'd love to know more about this one.

The lower right one has a square opening, as if it were intended for square head bolts, but the opening is off center. The hole is otherwise very square and clean. My thought was that this one had been modified after it left the factory -I doubt the factory would have put the hole that far off center.

The lower left one does appear to be factory made. It has a smooth 3/8" circular opening rather than a hex opening. I have no idea what that would be intended for. I wondered it might be a factory mistake that got included in a kit. If anyone has any ideas about this one, I'd love to hear them :)

Doug

PS: I didn't notice the yellowing in the pics until someone pointed it out to me. But the sockets aren't yellow - I think it's an artifact from some of the photo editing.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have my dad's tools still in the toolbox and he was no tool snob.He passed away 3 years ago and my mom wanted to sell them.I told her no way,wanted something that reminded of him.They do bring back memories.Like mine,his is full of Craftsman,SK,Cornwell,Mac,Matco and Snap On.Some cheap tools as well including the cheap tools modified made into specialty tools.I keep the cheap throw away tools for modifying applications,have 3 boxes of them at work for this reason.One I have is a wrench I made for access to oil line fittings on a Paccar diesel engine.Story is I was in a pinch and had no angle wrench at the time.I still use it to this day.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Individual sockets gone from Walmart

I mentioned elsewhere - in this thread, I think - that Walmart was selling Stanley sockets packaged individually. Several recently remodeled stores here in the DFW area had such displays in their tool sections.

Alas, that offering seems to have come to an abrupt halt. It appears all the stores I saw them in have now re-arranged those aisles and have removed the sections with the individual socket displays. Needless to say, I'm bummed. Stanleys are surely decent tools, and were available at excellent prices. And they still are, but now only in sets - I can no longer just pick up a 3/4" socket by itself. (However, they do still have 10mm sockets, in 3-packs :) )

Anyway, I suspect the issue was theft. The small, 1-socket packages are easy enough to pocket and walk out the front door with. I haven't discussed it with any store employees, but if I get the chance, I will.

As you can see in the attached pic, even the sets are susceptible to theft. I think I counted 6 pieces missing from this 24-piece HyperTough (store brand) set! Wow!

That said, other retailers such as Home Depot and Lowes still offer individual sockets at decent prices.

Doug

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
The amount of theft at Walmart is crazy.... I usually look online to make sure they have something in stock before I go, but I've found that the on-line inventory levels for smaller stuff is usually not correct becuase people steal so much stuff! Nothing worse than checking to make sure something is in stock before you go only to find empty packages instead of acutal items! <sigh>

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The amount of theft at Walmart is crazy.... I usually look online to make sure they have something in stock before I go, but I've found that the on-line inventory levels for smaller stuff is usually not correct becuase people steal so much stuff! Nothing worse than checking to make sure something is in stock before you go only to find empty packages instead of acutal items! <sigh>
Agreed but I'll give you worse. We all get to pay for these critters acquisitions via higher pricing to make up for the theft... Everything in the store goes up in price to make up for the stuff that sprouts legs and walks out the door.
The managers called it "Shrink" in the orientations when I worked as a temporary evening and weekend retail stock clerk at Bradlees and Ames over Christmas holidays when I was a teenager in High School in the 70's & very early 80's. I caught a couple people absconding with stuff and called security on em. If I see a thief now I'm not going to look the other way.

21 - 40 of 300 Posts