Impala Forums banner

281 - 300 of 300 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,738 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Folks that are in the market for a decent set of Metric and SAE Box End wrenches with no skips may want to take a look at the larger set from Tekton.

More than a few of my Box End wrenches recently sprouted legs so I needed another set. Pretty sure who has them... younger members of the Famn Damily... I may eventually get them back but I'm not counting on it.

The image is an AMAZON link.

Fit and Finish seems to be good. Actually better than my missing 1970's Craftsman wrenches.
The smaller 8mm & 1/4" wrenches are longer than my old wrenches that are still in the drawers and the holders are sturdy to make taking a whole wrench set out on the cart easy.
The reviews looked good so I took a chance on them.
The wrenches I've used so far seem to fit the fasteners nice and snug. Not happy about the reason I had to buy these but happy with these wrenches.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have been very impressed with the Tekton brand. The couple of tools I have of theirs take a lot of abuse without any issues.

They hold up well enough that I have thought about replacing some of my Crafstman with them. I also like the lifetime warranty; if a tool breaks simply email them a picture of it and they will send you a new one. Another plus for me is on their web site they disclose the country of manufacture.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have been very impressed with the Tekton brand. The couple of tools I have of theirs take a lot of abuse without any issues.

They hold up well enough that I have thought about replacing some of my Crafstman with them. I also like the lifetime warranty; if a tool breaks simply email them a picture of it and they will send you a new one. Another plus for me is on their web site they disclose the country of manufacture.
That's what some of the reviews stated but you never know if they are shills.
Good to hear it from someone I know is a real person.:D

I picked up a set of Tekton stubby box-end wrenches at the same time. They seem to be of equal quality.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I do have to admit that I am slightly biased. Tekton is based out of Grand Rapids MI; very close to home for me.

I have their larger breaker bar and have abused it with no issues. I do like that the head is replaceable, but it is a little larger than most. There have been a couple of times I wished it had a slightly smaller head to get into those tight areas.

Their pry bars have done very well over the years. I have a few of their pliers. They are not in the same ballpark as my Knipex pliers, but for the cost, I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I do have to admit that I am slightly biased. Tekton is based out of Grand Rapids MI; very close to home for me.

I have their larger breaker bar and have abused it with no issues. I do like that the head is replaceable, but it is a little larger than most. There have been a couple of times I wished it had a slightly smaller head to get into those tight areas.

Their pry bars have done very well over the years. I have a few of their pliers. They are not in the same ballpark as my Knipex pliers, but for the cost, I'm not complaining.
Knipex are Top Shelf German precision tools. You get what you pay for with them. The Knipex tools I have are worth every cent.
I have a nice set of their inside and outside snap ring pliers that I bought in the late 1990s after I got fed up with the competition and I have a few assorted pliers I happily found in yard-sale toolboxes over the years.

It's interesting to see the changes in the world my Grandparents talked about with surprise in the late 1970's. Reminds me of the lyrics in the Bonnie Raitt tune Nick Of Time even tho they aren't around anymore to feel equally strange about this.
In the late 1940's & 1950's Japan was synonymous with cheap poor quality manufacturing. Where did you get quality manufactured industrial goods in the 1980's? North America, Europe, and... Japan.
Now that I'm in my late 50's I see the same kinda stuff. Tekton is largely produced in Taiwan. Just like Japan... Taiwan and South Korea have really stepped up their manufacturing quality and control to match and even rival Western produced goods. In the 1970's Taiwan and Korea were synonymous with garbage steel, crudely made peanut butter tools, and cheap electronics that we see coming from China and India now. India will eventually pull themselves up like Japan. China is still laboring under the top down economic control of the failed 19th century political system hypothesized by Frederich Engels and Karl Marx.

·
Super Moderator
10,738 Posts

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #290 (Edited)
Removing stuck plug wires came up in another thread. I posted this info there about plug pliers. In the pic are some marked "Craftsman 47315". This model doesn't come up at Lowe's, but it appears they are still available at Sears, and several other places including eBay.

For removing a stuck plug boot, they are super handy ! The jaws are formed to grip the boot at a right angle, or axially, whichever works best, I suppose.

They are also marked "WARNING – USE WITH ENGINE OFF". I can't help smiling when I think of how that warning became necessary :)

Doug

plug_pliers.jpg

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Just watched an Erio O video where he was talking about some sockets made in Taiwan by Toptul.
It's strange that the Taiwanese tools made now are good quality. I remember peanut butter tools from Taiwan back in the 1970's.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #292 (Edited)
My grand buddies figured out they can crush rocks with Poppy's bench vise :)

Besides rocks, it comes in handy for many other applications as well. This is a 3½" Craftsman I got about ~33 years ago at Sears at Northwest Plaza in St. Louis. No recollection of what I paid.

Doug

gand_buddies_vise2b.jpg

·
Registered
140 Posts
^ Watch those fingers boys!!!
Let 'em figure it out. If they are smart, they may only do it once.

My perspective, kids are well, everywhere, but pencil sharpeners; who uses pencils anymore?

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
Let 'em figure it out. If they are smart, they may only do it once.
As a parent, or grandparent in this case, there's a delicate balance between letting them learn while keeping them from getting seriously injured. Bruises are often badges of lessons learned. But broken fingers would draw me the wrath of their mother :)

...but pencil sharpeners; who uses pencils anymore?
Carpenters :)

Doug

·
Registered
143 Posts
Harbor Freight. Yes, I said it. I will be making a Harbor Freight run to get a creeper, a SAE and Metric wrench set and a socket set. I don't typically do a ton of work around the house or on the car, but for the times I do get my hands greasy (and cut, and pinched, and burned ... I am a slow learner), I am getting tired of all the gaps in my sockets and wrenches. And I need a creeper to start doing oil changes (ramps and other stuff coming from Amazon).
Although since I now find myself on 1/2 employment, I expect some more work will be getting done by me around the house. The hospital I work for is losing money hand over fist from this damned COVID business. They just laid off like 1/4 of the workforce, so I guess I could be an optimist and be glad I at least have 1/2 a job left for now. But I just know with the time on my hands the wife will hit me with a Honey Do list a mile long.

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
FYI, my jack stands are safe from the recall. I bought them long enough ago that they have a different product number.
I actually haven't got around to checking mine yet, but I imagine mine is the same case as yours. I have the grey 3 ton bought probably 7-8 years ago. Don't use them much anymore as I'm neighbors with my BIL, and he has a lift I'm welcome to use anytime. Should still dig them out and check though.

281 - 300 of 300 Posts