Impala Forums banner

281 - 289 of 289 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,563 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Folks that are in the market for a decent set of Metric and SAE Box End wrenches with no skips may want to take a look at the larger set from Tekton.

More than a few of my Box End wrenches recently sprouted legs so I needed another set. Pretty sure who has them... younger members of the Famn Damily... I may eventually get them back but I'm not counting on it.

The image is an AMAZON link.

Fit and Finish seems to be good. Actually better than my missing 1970's Craftsman wrenches.
The smaller 8mm & 1/4" wrenches are longer than my old wrenches that are still in the drawers and the holders are sturdy to make taking a whole wrench set out on the cart easy.
The reviews looked good so I took a chance on them.
The wrenches I've used so far seem to fit the fasteners nice and snug. Not happy about the reason I had to buy these but happy with these wrenches.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have been very impressed with the Tekton brand. The couple of tools I have of theirs take a lot of abuse without any issues.

They hold up well enough that I have thought about replacing some of my Crafstman with them. I also like the lifetime warranty; if a tool breaks simply email them a picture of it and they will send you a new one. Another plus for me is on their web site they disclose the country of manufacture.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have been very impressed with the Tekton brand. The couple of tools I have of theirs take a lot of abuse without any issues.

They hold up well enough that I have thought about replacing some of my Crafstman with them. I also like the lifetime warranty; if a tool breaks simply email them a picture of it and they will send you a new one. Another plus for me is on their web site they disclose the country of manufacture.
That's what some of the reviews stated but you never know if they are shills.
Good to hear it from someone I know is a real person.:D

I picked up a set of Tekton stubby box-end wrenches at the same time. They seem to be of equal quality.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I do have to admit that I am slightly biased. Tekton is based out of Grand Rapids MI; very close to home for me.

I have their larger breaker bar and have abused it with no issues. I do like that the head is replaceable, but it is a little larger than most. There have been a couple of times I wished it had a slightly smaller head to get into those tight areas.

Their pry bars have done very well over the years. I have a few of their pliers. They are not in the same ballpark as my Knipex pliers, but for the cost, I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I do have to admit that I am slightly biased. Tekton is based out of Grand Rapids MI; very close to home for me.

I have their larger breaker bar and have abused it with no issues. I do like that the head is replaceable, but it is a little larger than most. There have been a couple of times I wished it had a slightly smaller head to get into those tight areas.

Their pry bars have done very well over the years. I have a few of their pliers. They are not in the same ballpark as my Knipex pliers, but for the cost, I'm not complaining.
Knipex are Top Shelf German precision tools. You get what you pay for with them. The Knipex tools I have are worth every cent.
I have a nice set of their inside and outside snap ring pliers that I bought in the late 1990s after I got fed up with the competition and I have a few assorted pliers I happily found in yard-sale toolboxes over the years.

It's interesting to see the changes in the world my Grandparents talked about with surprise in the late 1970's. Reminds me of the lyrics in the Bonnie Raitt tune Nick Of Time even tho they aren't around anymore to feel equally strange about this.
In the late 1940's & 1950's Japan was synonymous with cheap poor quality manufacturing. Where did you get quality manufactured industrial goods in the 1980's? North America, Europe, and... Japan.
Now that I'm in my late 50's I see the same kinda stuff. Tekton is largely produced in Taiwan. Just like Japan... Taiwan and South Korea have really stepped up their manufacturing quality and control to match and even rival Western produced goods. In the 1970's Taiwan and Korea were synonymous with garbage steel, crudely made peanut butter tools, and cheap electronics that we see coming from China and India now. India will eventually pull themselves up like Japan. China is still laboring under the top down economic control of the failed 19th century political system hypothesized by Frederich Engels and Karl Marx.

·
Super Moderator
10,563 Posts
281 - 289 of 289 Posts