Impala Forums banner

261 - 280 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Excellent bargain for Husky tool chests

On the left in the pic, I saw this pair of tool chests at Home Depot this week, and it seemed like a good deal. Both chests had ball bearing slides and outstanding load ratings.

The top chest (SKU #1004426598 ) is a common size at 26" wide by 17.8" high and 14.4" deep. The bottom unit (SKU #1004426597 ) really caught my attention - for $129, it seems like an excellent value. It's 26" wide and 30.7" high, with extra deep drawers at 20.4" .

For $228, I thought the pair was an outstanding value.

For comparison, I included a pic from Lowe's of a Craftsman stack I saw this week priced at $179 (item # 997947). Like the Husky, this one has ball bearing slides, but only 5 drawers versus 8.

It's listed at 26" wide, altho it's clear from the pic that the top unit is a couple inches narrower than the bottom. Likewise, the listed depth is 14", but the top unit appears to be a couple inches shallower. The overall height is 44". So this pair is appreciably smaller than the Husky stack. At $189, I think it's a bit pricey. In the past, I've purchased Walmart brand equivalents to this for about $60, as I recall, however they didn't have ball bearing slides.

Compared to the larger Husky, I'd spend the extra 50 bucks on it without hesitation.

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
^ Doug, have you checked out the U.S. General lineup at Harbor Freight?
I bought a 26x22 US General upper and lower cabinet on sale just before Labor Day.
Lots of long pull shallow drawers so there's only one layer and I don't have to dig for my hand tools.:D

They make my 1980's Craftsman three tier cabinet set look like toys. The US General cabinets are heavier steel and the drawers have much smoother action than my old cabinets did when they were new.

Neither cabinet is for shorter people. I'm 6'4" so the top drawers and tray aren't a problem.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Hi, Sheila,

I check out Harbor Freight occasionally, but probably not as often as I'm in Home Depot and Northern Tool. But wherever I am, if I see a tool cabinet that is appealing, I'll post it :) That said, at your and Hatzie's prompting, I need to get to Harbor Freight and look around some more.

Seems the trend is towards ginormous units nowadays, like the Milwaukee in the pic, and those tend to be pricey. But that style seems to be the lead offering at all the tool stores nowadays, from Sears to Harbor Freight. Whereas, as you can tell, I'm kind of old school, and like the smaller ~26" wide gear :)

That said, there are new 26" wide units with much deeper (front to back) drawers, and I do like those, especially with lots of thin drawers for storing sockets and other mechanics tools.

What I'm having trouble assimilating is the top section on some of these. The trunk lid on my Chevy Cruze is smaller than that thing in the pic :) And it appears that both use the same gas lift struts ;)

Seriously, I think I'd rather have a thin top layer, with a lift out tray(s) (ie, old style), but I suppose I can see other uses for that large top section, such as storing rags and hand cleaner along with bulky items such as drills and impact wrenches in there. Problem is, as Hatzie noted, at just shy of 6', I'm already up on my tippy toes looking into my tool stacks now, so any taller and I'll need a step stool :)

All that said, what I have noticed at Northern Tool, who among tool stores I consider to be most like Harbor Freight, is that their tool boxes don't seem any less expensive than anyone else's. I need to take note of the prices at Harbor Freight so I can draw more informed comparisons and post back.
BTW, I notice Home Depot seems to be doing more with Milwaukee Tools. I'm thinking that's in response to the Lowe's/Craftsman alliance.

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
I bought a 26x22 US General upper and lower cabinet on sale just before Labor Day.
Lots of long pull shallow drawers so there's only one layer and I don't have to dig for my hand tools.:D

They make my 1980's Craftsman three tier cabinet set look like toys. The US General cabinets are heavier steel and the drawers have much smoother action than my old cabinets did when they were new.

Neither cabinet is for shorter people. I'm 6'4" so the top drawers and tray aren't a problem.
The 22" depth (front to back) is, no doubt, a big help. And I've come to like the ball bearings on the few units I have so equipped. OTOH, I keep the old style ones I have well greased. Plus, like my 1974 F-100 with no power steering, those drawers keep my biceps looking mighty fine :)

Seriously, with as much crap as I have, the ball bearings would be nice. The Husky I recently posted was really nice for easy pulling.

One other thing I like about the Husky...many of the ball-bearing cabinets I check out at the various stores have a keeper mechanism on the drawers such that a good tug is needed to get them going the first inch or so, then it's easy sledding. But some - the Craftsman come to mind - need way to much initial pull. I'd rather deal with a drawer that slides open too easily than one that needs that much initial force. (I think somebody released those too soon before adequate product testing was completed.)

I agree about digging thru the drawers for the tools. I've noticed many cabinets, including a few I've posted here, that could stand to have a couple of thick drawers replaced with a few more thinner ones. In fact, the Milwaukee in the previous post could use a few more thins.

I have a pair of the intermediate tool chests from Sears, each with 3 drawers - two thins and thick - but internal guides for 4 thins. In one stack, I was able to re-arrange them with four thins in one chest and two thicker drawers in the other. It's robbing Peter to pay Paul, but it does allow grouping the thin ones where they are handy-est.

Doug

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
hatzie; said:
Lots of long pull shallow drawers so there's only one layer and I don't have to dig for my hand tools.
I made it up to Harbor Freight in McKinney, TX, today and gave a closer look at their tool chests. Good call to Sheila and Hatzie - this is a truly outstanding stack, at a very good price.

As noted, both upper and lower chests are 26" wide, and both are 22" deep (front to back). The upper is 20" high while the lower is 40.5" high (not counting caster height). And they're available in 6 colors: 3 old school and 3 fluorescent :)

One thing I really like is the number of shallow (thin) drawers, ideal for sockets and other tools. The top chest has 3 narrow, thin drawers at the top, and 4 more full width, thin drawers below that. Plus the bottom chest has 3 more thin drawers at the top.

All the drawers have ball-bearing slides with keepers, and the keepers don't require excessive force to get them going.

The upper unit was priced at $219 and the lower at $319. So, the whole stack is about 540 bucks.

This pair seems very well suited for folks like me who've amassed lots of tools over the years :)

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
US general boxes from harbor freight are great. But I think they have caught on that people are starting to like them more. They are starting to get a little pricier. Just a few years ago I bought a 5 drawer rolling cart for $170. The same cart is now $230. Still not a bad deal...but I feel like their good stuff is starting to lose a bit of the extreme bargain prices it once had.

·
Registered
979 Posts
US general boxes from harbor freight are great. But I think they have caught on that people are starting to like them more. They are starting to get a little pricier. Just a few years ago I bought a 5 drawer rolling cart for $170. The same cart is now $230. Still not a bad deal...but I feel like their good stuff is starting to lose a bit of the extreme bargain prices it once had.
As Sheila noted. Get on the mailing list and look for the discount coupons in the flyers. Well worth it to wait on the sale prices.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #270 (Edited)
Pressure testing the radiator and cooling system

Chasing leaks in cooling systems often requires the use of a pressure test kit for bringing the radiator, hoses, etc, up to operating pressure to force coolant to leak out in order to pin-point the problem spot.

The setup shown in the pics is comprised of two kits: a pressure test kit and a radiator adapter kit. I got these as loaners from the parts stores, and ended up keeping them after borrowing them for the third time :)

The pressure tester was obtained at Autozone, but I can no longer find it on their website. Rockauto lists it for $59.79, which seems like a reasonable price. Other on-line vendors may offer this or else a similar item at an even better price.

Motorad MT-300 radiator pressure tester, $59.79 @ Rockauto
Includes 2 adapters​

To mate it with any vehicle in my fleet, I needed the adapter with screw threads to connect to my coolant reservoir (1997 F-150 shown in the pic). The Evertough 67086 radiator adapter set is from Oreilly and is listed on their site at $39.99.

Evertough 67086 adapter set, $39.99 @ Oreilly
Also includes 2 adapters​

In total, that's about 100 bucks, but I think, with some prudent shopping, someone could put together a comparable setup for their car for around $70, maybe even less. Quick example: Autozone has the OEM 27118 adapter kit, which looks just like the 67086, listed for $30, so there's 10 dollars saved right there.

OEM 27118 adapter set, $30.00 @ Autozone
Also includes 2 adapters​

And even at $100, if you can find the leak and repair it yourself, you can easily save that $100, and maybe more, thereby making the kit pay for itself the first time it's used.

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
On the harbor freight stuff, have to be a little cautious. I have noticed a lot of their stuff that they "compare to" major quality brands are often priced as high or higher than the prices you can get the other brands for when they are on sale.

In my experience a lot of the hf stuff is only fair quality and is often made of cheap steel. For something you are not using regularly or an odd tool that you are not going to get knuckles busted on if it breaks they serve their purpose. The hf tire changer I have in my shed paid for itself the first time I had to put a tube in a front tractor tire.

I looked at the hf rolling lowers a couple years ago before buying the craftsman 4 drawer lower for my ammo reloading box that is in my basement under my bench. Think with the sale price on the craftsman I came out a little better and had 2 more drawers than I would have had with the hf cart. Was looking at their mig carts a while back too, and found that theirs were priced higher than I could get a cart for from northern tool.

·
Registered
979 Posts
On the harbor freight stuff, have to be a little cautious. I have noticed a lot of their stuff that they "compare to" major quality brands are often priced as high or higher than the prices you can get the other brands for when they are on sale.

In my experience a lot of the hf stuff is only fair quality and is often made of cheap steel. For something you are not using regularly or an odd tool that you are not going to get knuckles busted on if it breaks they serve their purpose. The hf tire changer I have in my shed paid for itself the first time I had to put a tube in a front tractor tire.

I looked at the hf rolling lowers a couple years ago before buying the craftsman 4 drawer lower for my ammo reloading box that is in my basement under my bench. Think with the sale price on the craftsman I came out a little better and had 2 more drawers than I would have had with the hf cart. Was looking at their mig carts a while back too, and found that theirs were priced higher than I could get a cart for from northern tool.

Moral of the story is be aware.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
Ultimate set of 10mm sockets !!

I saw these at Autozone the other day and nearly burst out laughing - a 10-pack of 10mm sockets !!

¼" and ⅜" drive, short, long and intermediate, swivel and impact - what else could anyone ever want in a 10mm socket?

$19.99 at my neighborhood Autozone :)

Doug

<rhetoric>Does the world really need a 10mm impact?</rhetoric>

Attachments

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Still more must-have 10mm sockets !!

Just when I thought I had posted the be-all-end-all 10mm kit, I saw these on Facebook and just had to share - GLOW IN THE DARK 10mm sockets. Never again will you lose them in the dark :)

Oops - looks like a UV light is needed. Fortunately, I have one under my Hendrix poster :)

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just when I thought I had posted the be-all-end-all 10mm kit, I saw these on Facebook and just had to share - GLOW IN THE DARK 10mm sockets. Never again will you lose them in the dark :)

Oops - looks like a UV light is needed. Fortunately, I have one under my Hendrix poster :)

Doug

·
Super Moderator
10,541 Posts
My birthday is Christmas Day but I'm still on Santa's lump of coal list so I won't get one :devil

261 - 280 of 289 Posts