Impala Forums banner

Too much fluid?

944 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  sheila 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for your help. You guys and gals have been awesome.

2012 Impala LTZ
Following some threads on here I dove in and drained/refilled my ATF tonight. I was shocked how easy it was.

As mentioned in one thread, I filled with 4.5qts and checked the fluid, thinking itd br at the bottom of the bullet as it was for the OP.

My bullet was covered. All the way up. I cant tell if this is just the residue from filling the ATF down the same tube, or if this is indeed overfilled. This is cold btw.

Should I run through the normal check procedure (180-200 degrees, go through gears for 3 seconds each, then check)? Or am I likely overfull and going to do damage?

I can post a pic of the bullet level cold in the morning if that helps.

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
I'd also check the atf level hot idling in park before draining or adding. When I drain my '12/'13's (w/o jacking the cars) I need to add 6 qts. to get to proper level. Depending on if, how or where you're lifting the car will make a difference on how much fluid is drained out. Fwiw, are you checking the level cold with the engine idling or not? If not, the level should be way over the bullet due to the fact the atf pump is not engaged.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies!

When I checked this morning and reported ATF fluid at top of the bullet:
Engine was off and cold. Has not been running for 8 hours.

I mis-interpreted the bottom of the bullet check as the vehicle not running. Makes sense now.

So start the car, check while engine/fluid is cold to ensure fluid is just touching the bottom of the bullet.
When doing cold check - do you leave car in park, or rotate shifter through positions, back to park, then check?

#6 ·
The "cold while running" check is just a "ballpark" check. You really should check it hot as @shelia mentioned as well for a more "Exact" level check. But checking it cold with engine running will at least make sure that it's not under of over-filled enough to cause any damage. I would just start the car and check the level immediately (without moving the gear shifter around) - assuming it's just touching the bottom of the bullet, then I would say that it's close enough not to cause any damage. Then, at some point in the near future, after a decent drive to get the fluid up to temperature (180F+), check it again to make sure you're good.

#7 ·
Good advice given above on checking the stick warm.

In the future, when you drain the fluid try to catch it in something you can measure it out in. Be it pouring back into quart containers or whatever, it will get you pretty close to knowing how much needs to go back in. Just be sure what you use works and don't end up like one of my fairly recent experiences. Bought a new catch can from walmart to replace my old catch pans here a while back and all went well until it flooded over the sides of the can and tranny fluid poured all over my garage floor.

Reactions: plano-doug
#8 ·
^+1. I initially used an empty 5qt. oil jug with side sight glass to pour the drained contents into. It's fine to use this as a refill guide if the atf level was correct prior draining, lol. Now, w/o lifting the car(s) and the drivers nose a bit downhill, I know it takes 6qts. to refill my '12/'13's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.