Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Goodyear Eagle RS-A2’s are about done, which I’m happy about. I hated these tires, they’re super noisy and terrible traction in the snow. Has anyone else replaced these tires and have recommendations on good all seasons?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Don't, for any reason, buy Generals. If you think your Good-for-a-year's were loud, my last and only set of General tires sounded like Fred Flintstones "yabba dabba do mobile. Michelin is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my 2014 Impala 2LTZ. These are Ultra High Performance tires and so far, I love them, they will probably not be great with snow, but I have read that they will be better than the Goodyear RS-A2's that I had. A better balance of all season would be the Michelin Primacy MXM4 or the Michelin Premier A/S, but they cost more.

The Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 are supposed to be pretty good including snow. Others have said the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Tires are pretty good. The Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring might be a good choice as well.

Just remember that All Season Tires in general are a compromise, none as good as a snow tire or a summer tire.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Happy with my Michelin Defender T+H. Quiet and smooth but I haven't used them in the snow. They are excellent in the rain.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Asking opinions on tires can open the floodgates. You may want to check out the following thread which provided some input:

http://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-impala-9th-gen-discussion/1745258-2014-ltz-rain-driving.html#post3468594

I will respectfully disagree with the above comment on ruling out all General tires. I have General Altimax RT43s on my Impala Limited LTZ and my wife's minivan. I liked the performance on the Impala so much, I bought them for the van. Outstanding tires. Very high treadwear rating (700 UTG), good grip in wet and dry (can't comment on snow - don't get any where I live), NOT made in China, no excessive road noise. Consumer Reports rated them very highly - found out after I did my own homework and bought them (a nice validation).

The Goodyear RS-A tires are very disappointing.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Don't remember. Got them at Sams Club. Thought I had a front wheel bearing going out (back when I could hear). Probably middle quality.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have General Altimax RT43s on my Impala Limited LTZ
What size are your wheels & tires ?

Tire rack does not show these as being available for the 2014+ Impala with 19" wheels, just the General G-Max AS-05

·
Registered
480 Posts
Unfortunately I can't justify replacing the Eagles as I have only driven 12k in 2 years but I did have Continental DWS on my Charger and they were nice. I also have the Michelin Premier A/S on our Rogue and they are great.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I may be one of a very few but I like the Firestone Firehawk GT tires on our Impala. When it comes time to replace tires we may go with those or some Michelin Pilot Sport tires. I have Michelin Defender tires on my truck and they are great. Pirelli Cinturato tires are another option.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Been running uniroyal tiger paw touring, they do fine in the rain, have limited time with them on snow. Walmart has a good price on them, but they have to be ordered online. Speed rated, quiet, have a 70,000 mile tread wear warranty and made by michelin. The 17's last time I had them changed for a set of 4 was $430 something, then had to pay for mounting and balancing, so around $470 total out the door.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I believe the OP has 19" Wheels that need P245/45R19 and some of the recommendations and are not available in that size.

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
We have the General Altimax on my wife's 2014 with 18" wheels and took her car from Green Bay to NJ early January, in all the blizzards and the "bomb cyclone" hitting the coast. Interstate 80 was closed just east of where we stopped on the PA boarder one night, heavy lake effect in Indiana, young daughter said "I want to see the bottom of more semis", you get the idea, was bad travel conditions. Those Generals were great, will not hesitate to buy them again. Tirerack was how I decided on those, great resource even if buying local.

On the loud thing, loudest tires I have ever had on a car were GoodYear Assurance Tripletread we put on the wife's old 7th gen a decade ago, thought it was wheelbearings going bad. That said I am looking at Goodyear Pilot Sport for my car.

When researching tires you almost have to judge each model independent of brand, and when reading on TireRack I try to find reviews from similar cars. People with a 4500lbs Mercedes running a completely different size are going to have a different experience than someone else buying the same "model" tire and putting it on a Miata.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I just put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my 2014 Impala 2LTZ. These are Ultra High Performance tires and so far, I love them, they will probably not be great with snow, but I have read that they will be better than the Goodyear RS-A2's that I had. A better balance of all season would be the Michelin Primacy MXM4 or the Michelin Premier A/S, but they cost more.

The Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 are supposed to be pretty good including snow. Others have said the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Tires are pretty good. The Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring might be a good choice as well.

Just remember that All Season Tires in general are a compromise, none as good as a snow tire or a summer tire.
Just put a set of 235/50R18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 97Y tires on the SS. The W rated tires would do just fine but the Y tires were in stock. They're quiet, hang onto the corners, and don't hydroplane on light mist. Winter is not as good as summer but these aren't snow tires.

The Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 or Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 are excellent snow tires.
I've run Bridgestones as year-round tires on a pickup. They are noisier than all season tires but traction was not a problem. The summer traction ratings on Tire Rack are almost as good as the Michelins but snow tires wear faster in the summer. The Bridgestones were only good for two winters and summers starting new in late fall. If you want tires that are very good in all seasons, and don't care about the fact that you'll likely only get 20-30K out of em, I'd get a set of the Blizzaks or Nokians in the late fall and drive em for two full years.

Good riddance to the BadYear Eagles GM installed originally on my Impala... Yes, I drove it way too long on the original 2009 tires. They should've been rolled into the dumpster in 2016. Only had 28,000 miles on em.

I ran the original Continental tires on my 2005 VW Jetta TDI till they failed. I can't recommend them. Delamination in the sidewalls at under 15,000 miles. The TDI is hardly a sporty car... never saw 85mph in that rig.

I'm running BF Goodrich Radial T/A 215/65R15 White Letter tires on new American Racing VN47 15x7 wheels on the 1985 AMC Eagle Sport Wagon I just bought. Traction is pretty decent but this won't be run in the winter and I'll try to avoid rain. I bought these more for looks on my toy.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I believe the OP has 19" Wheels that need P245/45R19 and some of the recommendations and are not available in that size.
Yeah, not sure the" touring" are available in that size, but the tiger paw A/S gtz's are and they seem to have very good reviews from multiple sources.

Some mentions of truck tires and grip, personally went away from the major big names after yet more goodyear failures and put a set of nexen roadian's on my 3/4 ton truck. They do pretty well on snow, but not something I would put on a car. No complaints at all with them. I will be checking into nexen's other lines for cars and suv's as the need comes, but for our impala the uniroyals have been hard to beat.

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
My Mom runs snows year round on her Acadia, they live in a place that sees 180" average annual snowfall and she doesn't put on many miles, most weeks just 40-50miles, she would never wear out tires like that but they do take it on some road trips. If she tried to swap tires seasonally she would have dry rotted tires with half the tread left. Tires are often shot by 4yo regardless of tread level, I would keep that in mind when looking at tread wear warranty and such.

On economy, OEM tires are often about as good as it gets because with CAFE that matters, a tire designed to be a better tire vs. be best a fuel economy is likely to give up some fuel economy. On my wife's 7th gen she saw a 10% hit going from OEM tigerpaws which were garbage then(it all changes over the years) to the GoodYear Assurance. Seems like modern tires don't give up as much but you still do see some difference.

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
I have a W Body 2012 that I swapped tires on recently. Torn between the Michelin Pilots and Pirelli Cinturato P7, I went with the Pirellis after some strong suggestion. Love them. Phenomenal tires that have served me well Fall, Winter and Spring.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My my but that set off a kerfuffle didn't it. My apologies to all you General Tire owners. I've not been known for my diplomacy.
The Generals I was talking about were on the factory 16" wheels the car came with (225x 60x16). They wore like iron (and unfortunately rode like iron too). BTW the pressure was always kept at 30 PSI (factory recommendation) which I'm sure accounts for some of the rigid ride.
They were replaced by Goodyear 225x50x18 Eagle LS2's (originally at 28 PSI) which rode like a my '76 Delta 88 Oldsmobile. However, the guys at Discount Tire said that the sides of the Eagles were wearing prematurely due to the lower pressure so bumped up the pressure to 35 PSI (cringe) and now the remainder of the tires appear to be wearing evenly, but the ride has suffered too. Ride and wear seem to be a function of tire size, quality and tire pressure (which I'm sure you all know). The 18" Voxx wheels that replaced the factory 16's are great too.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts