Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2014 Impala 2LT. I recently upgraded my stock 18? wheels to the stock 19? wheels and now my tire pressure light is on and I?m getting a message every time I start my car. I?m assuming I need to get my computer reset to the new wheels but I?m not very savvy in that department. Could somebody direct me in the right direction un updating my car to sense the new wheels? Thank

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
first, did you have the sensors in the tires swapped to the new ones/did the new ones come with new sensors? your manual will tell you how to sync them in, look up TPMS.

(should work similarly with newer body style as well).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The new wheels and tires have sensors installed. I just don?t know much about them and how to update. I?ll check out that video and see if that helps

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
nah, don't go to the store/dealer. as you get to each tire you can increase or decrease the tire pressure until the horn beeps. then go to the next tire. I typically decrease the tire pressure until the horn beeps at me. your manual will describe the exact process on how to sync the tires in. it should take 5 minutes or less. once they're synced, you just need to adjust the pressures back to normal levels (inside of the drivers door will tell the cold pressures (morning time is best to get a cold pressure and they fluctuate with the outside temps such as the colder it gets the lower the pressure will go on you)).

while you're doing the syncing it may take several seconds so hold with it until the horn beeps. it would be helpful to do so near a tire inflator of some sort so you can restore tire pressures to the proper levels once you're all synced up.

reply back on how it goes for you. you can't hurt anything so give it a shot. worst case you restore your tire pressures back to the normal levels and try it again. also after getting new tires on my car a couple of weeks ago it did take a couple of miles for the tires to resync back in. so after doing a sync, go for a quick drive and keep an eye to see if they pop back into sync.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I know that method works on some older cars, but I'm almost positive that it doesn't work on the 2012+ Impalas (unfortunately)... What year f Impala have you used it on?

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
2010 impala and 2011 cruze. Cruze takes longer to sync each tire. They have to give the user a way to do something that simple their selves, otherwise its a worthless system. Again if that doesn’t work I stand by check your manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
2010 impala and 2011 cruze. Cruze takes longer to sync each tire. They have to give the user a way to do something that simple their selves, otherwise its a worthless system. Again if that doesn’t work I stand by check your manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I know the manual for my 2012 says that you have to use a TPMS tool and I'm pretty sure I tried it before I broke down and got the tool. The tools are dirt cheap nowadays (under $50 I think) and make it super simple and really fast. Really, most people don't rotate their own tires or do their own tire work, so most people probably don't care. I do rotate my own tires though, so I wanted the ability to do it myself.

I'd like to hear from others, but I'm 99% sure that it doesn't work on the 2012+ Impalas. They would rather make you take it to them and take your money. It's the same for programming keyfobs - or maybe it's new keys - they also took away the ability to do those yourself on the newer Impalas (can't remember if it was programming new fobs or new keys off-hand).

·
Registered
287 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Damn, is that tool cheap nowadays!! I got mine about a year ago (maybe 2) and I think it was like $80!! It's the Kent Moore-branded one, but still!!

The one linked to above is $18.99!! :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah theres at least a half dozen clones of the original KentMoore badged tool made by Orange. Im no longer convinced the original is better than the clones.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Yeah, I know the manual for my 2012 says that you have to use a TPMS tool and I'm pretty sure I tried it before I broke down and got the tool. The tools are dirt cheap nowadays (under $50 I think) and make it super simple and really fast. Really, most people don't rotate their own tires or do their own tire work, so most people probably don't care. I do rotate my own tires though, so I wanted the ability to do it myself.

I'd like to hear from others, but I'm 99% sure that it doesn't work on the 2012+ Impalas. They would rather make you take it to them and take your money. It's the same for programming keyfobs - or maybe it's new keys - they also took away the ability to do those yourself on the newer Impalas (can't remember if it was programming new fobs or new keys off-hand).

Pretty sure without looking that the manual on our 2012 says a tool is required or to take it to your dealer for tpms programming.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think I've tried letting the air out or adding air to relearn the positions, didn't work or I could've been doing something wrong as I was a little younger and less patient. This is for my 07'.

I have another question, not trying to hijack the thread but does anyone know if discount tires will install tire pressure sensors that you brought yourself? Or do will they only install the ones you buy from them? I could call them and ask but just thought I ask here first.

If that tool is only $18 I see one in my near future, I am finally getting tired of the TPMS light in my car lol.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
...but does anyone know if discount tires will install tire pressure sensors that you brought yourself?
Here in DFW, I've paid Discount Tire about 60 bucks each , two times if I recall correctly, using their sensors. I thought that was a decent price for the sensor, installation and balancing.

If you have the tool, I suppose you can do it yourself, but keep in mind, it's not hard to knock the tire out of balance while you're installing it.

Doug

·
Registered
750 Posts
Here in DFW, I've paid Discount Tire about 60 bucks each , two times if I recall correctly, using their sensors. I thought that was a decent price for the sensor, installation and balancing.

If you have the tool, I suppose you can do it yourself, but keep in mind, it's not hard to knock the tire out of balance while you're installing it.

Doug

If it was only 60 bucks per tire then I'll gladly pay that. That is a really decent price.

For some reason I recall them wanting to charge around $90 per tire and I was not prepared to spend that much so I've been dealing with the light.

Thanks for the info, I am going to check with them again on their pricing. :beer:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I just bought 2016 Impala wheels to put on my 2014 Impala. Will the my 2014 Impala read the tire sensors on the 2016 wheels?
According to RockAuto both the W Body Limited and the Epsilon use the same 315MHZ AC Delco TPMS sensors.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My old Impala, 2012 LTZ (see below) had the tire pressure light come on while I was driving the car on the interstate. Had no vibrations or pulling (quick check showed the front drivers tire pressure blank) so I continued to my destination. Once stopped I checked the pressure with a manual pressure gauge and it was at 35 PSI. After doing some digging and investigating it turned out to be a dead battery in the sensor inside the tire. Was going to cost over a hundred bucks to fix (while having new tires installed) so I opted to just manually check my tire pressures every so often.

Anyway, good thread with some great information! Thanks to all for your inputs. :beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Was going to cost over a hundred bucks to fix (while having new tires installed) so I opted to just manually check my tire pressures every so often.
That's too high. The going rate seems to be in the 55-70 dollar range to replace one. And that's regardless of whether you're getting new tires.

The sensors are in the 27-40 dollar range on Rocktauto, so the 60 bucks I've paid at Discount Tire seems reasonable.

It's okay if you don't mind the light being on, but if you decide to fix it, you should be able to do it for well under 100 bucks.

Aside: I'm beginning to wonder if there are too many things being monitored by the computers. Before too long, there will be a CYP light to remind you to check your pants after the system detects a high level of H2S :)

Doug

1 - 20 of 23 Posts