Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, if this is in the wrong section, I appologize. I wasn't sure where this should be posted.

The Impala is treating me good, including the 2 major road trips I took with it so far - one to RI from central NJ and back, and the other out to Johnson City, NY and back. However, I've had a few "disturbances" we'll call them regarding the tire pressure sensors. Usually just a low pressure reading, often when the tire pressure is okay. A couple times I've had to take a little air out and refill it to pressure to get it to correct itself when it's cold out, but nothing serious thankfully...

But my questions are this:
*What is/are the usual life span of these sensors?
*How often/ when should they be changed for new ones?

I'm asking because I've had the few slight instances with them, and I have no idea if they've ever been changed since the day the car rolled off the line - in which I doubt they have (going on 6 years now...). And since the car will be getting tires soon, I figured it'd be a good idea to have new ones put in it since the tires will be off anyway...

So what would you guys' opinions, thoughts and recommendations be on this matter?

Again, thank you!!! :eek:k3:

·
Banned
748 Posts
They are $160 for all four so might as well change them if new tires are being put on, they last as long as they want to last for some fail within a year some keep going and going... thats the nature of technology.

·
Registered
653 Posts
From TPMSdirect.com

"Industry representatives provide a broad life expectancy range of five to seven years and up to 100,000 miles are mentioned when addressing estimated life spans. The follow-up qualifier is that driving conditions, such as frequent on-off cycling of a TPMS, tire pressure sampling frequency and temperature extremes, will significantly shorten battery life. Translating to they cannot guarantee a specified amount as many things affect battery sensor life."
In short, if your car is over five years old and you are replacing tires you may want to consider replacing them as well, but it is completely up to you. I have seen them last over 100,000 miles and fail within 10,000 miles.

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, that's what I figured. I was thinking on having new ones done since the tires were being done, and hang onto the current ones as spares/back-ups should any of the new ones fail, just in case.

I kinda figured it'd be time to change 'em, since it's about 6 years old now. Mileage is still under 65K, but the time factor is greater so better to play it safe and go new.

Again, thanks guys!!!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
In my experience they last about 5yrs, then the batteries die. I find the system pretty useless anyway, I just wish I knew how to make the light go away...

·
Banned
748 Posts
In my experience they last about 5yrs, then the batteries die. I find the system pretty useless anyway, I just wish I knew how to make the light go away...

Simple actually take apart the dash and take the led/light off the panel that glows the tire pressure sensor screen :giggle:

·
Banned
748 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I just press the checkmark button and the message goes away temporarily.

·
Banned
748 Posts
I just press the checkmark button and the message goes away temporarily.
One needs to do permanent fix if they dont plan on using tpms.
Is it not illegal to not have it in working order ? if you were involved in accident and they checked your system they would blame you probably for being faulty cause you had bad tire pressure for some time ?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The check makes the message go away, but the damn light is still there. No, I don't believe TPMS has to legally be working, if it does it's news to me. It's not a particularly reliable system, I seriously doubt any accident investigator would ever even look, let alone use it against you.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
iv looked it up and its impossible to disable the tpms. I was gonna just cut the power for the tpms system but iirc it runs through the bcm and its just impossible to have a easy fix.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Seems like in Canada there is no law even to have manufactures put them on, but in usa seems like vehicles have to have tpms on them and a tpms sensor light being on is considered "working" so plasti dipping it should work :p

more about canadian rpms rules can be found at

Ask TC Road Safety - Transport Canada

1 - 13 of 13 Posts