Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

im debating grabbing a pair of tire chains for the north eastern winters here but i dont know too much about putting chains on a front wheel drive car like this one.

any recommendations...or advice? want a smooth ride, easy installation, and something that clears our suspension. one link states that it is "recommended for use on class S vehicles." im not sure what that means...

http://www.tirechainsupply.com/P225-60R16.html

thanks.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
We use them during the winters on our fleet, clearance is never an issue. Be sure to get some decent ones, the cheap cables always break, and can tear the crap out of a fender when they do. I am a fan of the diamond pattern chains personally. Pretty much anything on the market is easy to install now days too, even easier in the garage with a jack.

Remember to only put them on the front if using one set. Never exceed the speed rating of the chains, and do not drive with them on clear pavement.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i tried those "SNO CLAWS." if you are not familiar with them it is a chain alternative. it's supposed to strap on and remove easier than chains and has been tested on dry pavement for 500 miles since they are made of rubber. long story short, i wasted $200. last night was the first big snow storm and the "1 minute" installation time took me a half hour, the ride was terrible, and they fell off multiple times.

michelin makes something that is a composite material which goes on easily. looks interesting but now im a skeptic...

Michelin Easy Grip Composite Snow Chains

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Fits 225/60/16 tires, I don't see an issue. There may be some clearance issues in the back with the struts, but just don't use them on the back.

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
For some reason I want to go see if redbox has Trapped in Paradise, weird............

How bad is winter where you live?
I grewup in NW NJ then lived in Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula which is the hook up into the middle of Superior where average snowfall is 180" and I lived there for a 385" winter and now live near Green Bay and I have never thought to myself I needed snowchains. I did have a 4wd up in MI but when the plow comes by at 6am and that is it, you need ground clearance to get home by evening in rural areas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts