Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never done a claybar treatment on paint before. Just wondering what everyones "bread and butter" method of clay bar treating is.

Cheers

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
I tried it recently, it comes in a kit from the major brands. Basically wash the car and dry then apply some of the included spray and lightly move the clay bar back and forth on the area you sprayed. You will initially feel a gritty feeling as you start to clay, this is normal and a good thing as those are the things being removed from you paint. Make sure you rotate the clay bar often from one side to another and keep spraying the area so it does not dry.

Once it feels smooth you can try another section of the car. I find it best to cut the clay bar so it becomes 2 pieces.

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you as always guys... that link has a great video that shows how to use the clay the proper way. Cannot wait to try it out.

·
Registered
657 Posts
^^^very true. right now, if you run your hand over your paint, you can probably hear all the contaminants in it. i used the meguiar's brand clay kit a couple years ago and it made my paint smooth as silk. like was said before, make sure you keep the clay bar lubed up as you rub it on the car, dont let it get dry.

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Havnt done the treatment on the paint yet... weather is not ideal.. just tried it on my clear coated rim (dusted with black overspray) and it took off about 40%. I think I may have to go with that acetone suggestion from Roadmastah (adding my Boston accent to forum).

Just a slightly dampened rag?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Liquid clay bar...

Just my 2 cents on this one. I know they're not exactly known for high quality but turtle wax makes a decent liquid clay bar product. It's under their "ice" line of stuff. My wife uses it on her '96 Grand Am and swears by it. I'll probably have to buy 2 bottles to do my whole '91 Cappy.

Considering how anal she is about her car and how showroom shiny her paint -still- is after 13 years and 130k miles, I trust her opinion.

But it comes with a special blue foam applicator that really does make a difference. You also really need to make sure it stays well lubed too.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Actually the product I was talking about has been discontinued. This was a liquid clay bar that actually included car wash in it. The stuff in the bottle separated rather quickly into 3 layers and you always had to shake the crap out of it.

The new product is a solid clay bar that comes with the "lube".

Well, I guess I need to go buy the new stuff... the old stuff sure worked great.

just remember when done YOu need to rewash your car. ANd then rewax it. Clay like dish soap does remove wax/polish.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
There used to be a carwash/wax that was sold at auto parts stores. it was in a clear plastic bottle and you could see the wax and wash separated till you shook it. Anyone know where this is still available? it was great.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yeah, that was the stuff I was talking about. According to the website, it's no longer available. I do know though that my local Auto Zone has it. I'm gonna go stock up. :biggrin:

It was great stuff. Too bad...

There used to be a carwash/wax that was sold at auto parts stores. it was in a clear plastic bottle and you could see the wax and wash separated till you shook it. Anyone know where this is still available? it was great.

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got my car back from the dealer yesterday... did a once around on the car to make sure she was alright and noticed a deep scratch about 1/3 of an inch long on my rear passenger door... Politely mentioned it to the manager and he made me a body shop appointment to rectify... bastards.

Question: Should I clay bar the door BEFORE I bring it in to the body shop? I waxed about a week and a half ago and want to get as much of it off as possible before bringing it in.

·
Registered
624 Posts
i c/b about twice a year even though i keep the car covered 99.9 % of the time year round (its outside) it still amazed on how much crap that clay pulls off,then some zanio ...guess this is a good time to bring up the leaf blower subject

·
Registered
197 Posts
Got my car back from the dealer yesterday... did a once around on the car to make sure she was alright and noticed a deep scratch about 1/3 of an inch long on my rear passenger door... Politely mentioned it to the manager and he made me a body shop appointment to rectify... bastards.

Question: Should I clay bar the door BEFORE I bring it in to the body shop? I waxed about a week and a half ago and want to get as much of it off as possible before bringing it in.

if it goes to the body shop to fix a scratch they will buff the area when done, so they'll remove anything that might be in that area.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts